iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Geomagnetic Reversal

Started by Ron Scott, March 25, 2008, 02:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_C

Quote from: Tom on April 03, 2008, 02:16:30 PM

We might have to ask our cohorts in Australia and New Zealand, "If you go to the equator, are you travelling UP, or do you associate North and South with UP and Down.   

I was always taught to orient a map with North at the top.  I figure that is where traveling UP and Down came from.  Does anybody know? :P

It will not do any good to ask those people in Austrailia and New Zealand as they have been hanging up side down for too long already and think that's normal.   ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Modat22

The question of questions is this. If you are at the center of the earth and are able to survive the heat and move in any direction freely. would you float as if weightless?
remember man that thy are dust.

Tom

Apparently you would be weightless, according to the sites I googled. 
Here is an interesting viewpoint.

beenthere

modat...
I'm prayin that I won't be there... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don P

I'm just hoping record players don't start running backwards or Tipper's gonna send us all to the middle of the earth.

SwampDonkey

I don't know guys, I just don't know. Weightless?  :-X cough ... maybe if your an atom. Ok, I guess I have to remind myself not to confuse weight with mass here. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

Now the real question is why hasn't anyone brought up the very point that if it does switch then do we northerns have to start eating grits & succotash like they do down south and will they have to eat the good stuff like we do???  :D  ya  SOME BODY had to some how turn this topic into FOOD related  8) ::) :D

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Tom

I'm not giving up my Grits to the unappreciative.  No Sir!   No way!  Not even if all you got to eat is that junk.  :D :D :D

OneWithWood

Gee, Tom, you are getting to be more and more of an old curmdgeon!

Your nice younger brother was kind enough to share his grits with me  :)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Woodcarver

You can have my grits, Tom.  I'll eat the succotash.  ;D
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

fuzzybear

****I was always taught to orient a map with North at the top.  I figure that is where traveling UP and Down came from.  Does anybody know? ****

Tom I think it originally went by the way the river flows.  Here we go up to Whitehorse because it`s up river. Even though it`s south of us.   Same thing when I lived along the New River in Virginia. We went up when we were headed south and down when we were headed north. :) :)
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Modat22

If the magnetic poles reverse the iron molecules in grits will try to realign possibly forcing the person to eat with the other hand.. 8)
remember man that thy are dust.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: fuzzybear on April 04, 2008, 12:06:19 PM

Same thing when I lived along the New River in Virginia. We went up when we were headed south and down when we were headed north. :) :)

So what's your story?  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fuzzybear

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 04, 2008, 01:02:33 PM
Quote from: fuzzybear on April 04, 2008, 12:06:19 PM

Same thing when I lived along the New River in Virginia. We went up when we were headed south and down when we were headed north. :) :)

So what's your story?  :D

Transplanted Yankee ;D   Now living in Gods Country and loving it ;D ;D

Tom

Looks like I've picked up a couple of servings already.  :D

SwampDonkey

fuzzybear, I've been to the New River to. Had friends that lived in Blacksburgh, then Radford later on working at V-Tech. Now they are out in Idaho.

I told my friend if he wants to work in forestry, don't come back here. Our forestry jobs have been lost steadily for 25 years. Our grandfather's never would have believed that an industry that helped build the country, including the railroads would even be in such shambles. Old Boss Gibson built the New Brunswick railroad to access timberlands. What would he think now?

fuzzybear

That`s interesting about your friend`s there swampdonkey. I lived in Ivanhoe Va. moved to Sandpoint Id. then moved to the Yukon.   Small world.   We have lot`s of trees here, not much logging any more thou.  Just a few small operations serving the gold industry.

arojay

Hmmm,  when the poles reverse, they will have to 'pass' each other at some point.  Like the equator.  So what will happen when the toilet is flushed as the poles pass each other?
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Furby

limbrat

Am i going to need to turn the batteries around in my head lamp? If it starts sucking in the light instead of pushing it out i wont be able to see to fish.

I bet that if everyone in the far north like above Interstate 30 would go out and play on the trampoline in there socks it would make enough of a static charge to keep the pole up there.
ben

jeffreythree

I took a class on this back when I was a geology student at Univ. of Houston.  When it switches, there will be no poles at all for 10,000 years or so.  Compasses would just spin around or point at a nearby magnetic source.  It wouldn't matter much because we would all die from solar radiation after the magnetic field around the Earth collapses.  On the upside we would get the aurora(?) borealis down to the gulf coast and all have killer tans.  I would buy some stock in sunscreen companies just in case, but I just spent it all on beer and a chainsaw.
Trying to get out of DFW, the land of the $30,000 millionaires.  Look it up.

TexasTimbers

I didn't even know we southerners was supposed to eat succotash. I guess I better try some.  food3
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

jon12345

Global warming is to blame, heating can destroy magnetism  :)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Tom

Then it must be Bush's fault.  :P

Timburr

Only if the Bush is seized.....the breakdown of the armature windings from the excessive risidual heat is symptomatic of magnetic collapse!!!!
Sense is not common

Thank You Sponsors!