iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winters Coming

Started by ET, September 01, 2013, 07:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET

I've been so busy this year I'm seriously behind in putting up my winter wood supply. I may only have 1 1/2 C left from last season and have maybe 1 C cut that needs split and stacked. I've also pulled maybe 15 or 20 dead ash out that are still 60' long.  I've never not been ready for Jack Frost. I could use a firewood processor but then I would just sell it and still be cold!
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

r.man

I'm hoping to buy a load of partially dry logs. My friend thinks he can come up with a single or a double load for me at a reasonable price. Not as good as cutting green last winter but better than cutting green now.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Ohiowood

ET

You have a lot of dead ash up there?

I'm in southern ohio getting pretty bad down here.

ET

Oh ya, sad to say I' ve lost maybe 1500 20 year old ash and probably 500 40-50 year old ones. Ive sawed up some of the easy ones into lumber but *DanG they are hard to get equipment to them without tearing up the woods.  Its also hard to get at the ones for firewood too. I needed to do this back last spring, but thats when i fell on the ice hurting my hip severely putting me 3 months behind. Sad thing is the doctors still dont know why i still hurting.
Lucas 1030, Slabber attachment, Husky 550XP, Ford 555B hoe, Blaze King Ultra, Vermeer chipper, 70 acres with 40 acres Woods.

thecfarm

I see you have 40 acres. I know what it's like to try to maintain a forest with one man and a chainsaw. Some of the wife's family can not understand what I can do here all the time.  ::)  That is coming from most of them with only 40 trees on thier land. That is also not counting the 20 acres in fields I have too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ET

You got that right. Its just me. My wife loves to accompany me on custom saw jobs; she tallies the boards and helps set up and tear down the Lucas, but she does not like going out in the woods to work. Shes too busy washing all my dirty clothes!   :D

ET

Hate to say it but, i just turned the propane furnace on. House was 69 degrees and going down to 45 or lower tonight.  Once i fire up the blaze king the house will stay warm but im just not mentally ready yet. Im hoping to have my winter supply all split and stacked yet tomorrow. Linda promised to help stack. Once thats done, i can clean out the stack and clean the chimney and THEN maybe ill be ready to fire the ole gal up. Where is our Indian summer? Im waiting!
Ernie

beenthere

For me, this IS Indian summer.
69 for high and 45 low, couldn't be better IMO. Last week we hit 87 deg one day....  Bummer!!

And you should have your wood cut a year ago for this winter. ;) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ET

My wood was dry and (dead ash 60 foot tall) just needed cut/split/stacked. I did have about 2 full cords 2yr old stacked but i like about 5 cords. My slip on the ice last jan really set me back. Had another orthopedic visit just today. They want to inject my hip one more time before they do surgery (ouch) man ill do anything to avoid that. I also herniated and tore my L5 during that fall on the ice.  Get ur done slow but sure.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ivan49

I have about 3 acres of dead ash that I recently found and I bull dozed a trail into them today. Most are almost dead and many are dead so tomorrow I will fire up the chain saw and have at it. Next project is an acre of hard maple that died off this year but I have yet to build a road to it. Ilove burning ash and most of this is the size that I don't have to split 8)

ET

Dead ash is wonderful cutting and splitting. Can be dangerous felling if very big. Watch for widowmakers that want to break free.

ET

Well I finally got ur done this morning; 5 cords (75% dead ash) some cherry, hackberry, and elm.   Now I've got to get the stove, stack, and chimney cleaned out and then get it fired up.  The furnace has been running now for about 3 or 4 days, enough already.

Ernie

goose63

I have bought 50 cords of dry ash stacked up here think I can take out time for a beer then go look at some oak in the hill's :snowball:   
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Digging Fool

Some think this is stupid, but I always notice how high-up the squirrel nests are to help determine how severe the winter will be, and how much wood I'll probably need. Have not drawn a conclusion for this year yet, but it may be looking like a rough winter on the East coast.

Ivan49

Quote from: Digging Fool on September 29, 2013, 07:57:42 AM
Some think this is stupid, but I always notice how high-up the squirrel nests are to help determine how severe the winter will be, and how much wood I'll probably need. Have not drawn a conclusion for this year yet, but it may be looking like a rough winter on the East coast.

Going to be a bad one here then. Cannot see any nests anywhere, oh wait we don't have any squirrels here ;D

Logging logginglogging

I usually go by the height of the bees nests.... This year I am taking wood from the other side of my wood shed since that's my oldest dryes wood.... Its the side of the shed I don't have a light on yet. I need to get that done so I do go out and reach in and pickup and raccoon or skunk some morning when I go for wood...

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: ET on September 23, 2013, 08:07:55 PM
My wood was dry and (dead ash 60 foot tall) just needed cut/split/stacked. I did have about 2 full cords 2yr old stacked but i like about 5 cords. My slip on the ice last jan really set me back. Had another orthopedic visit just today. They want to inject my hip one more time before they do surgery (ouch) man ill do anything to avoid that. I also herniated and tore my L5 during that fall on the ice.  Get ur done slow but sure.

I usually fall and smash my face on the ice at least once a winter...lol

Thank You Sponsors!