iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing logs into cants and saving the cants to saw later.

Started by TnSawyer, September 07, 2007, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TnSawyer

Yesterday I was doing some straightening up around the mill and saw some old pine logs I have had for a year.  I thought I would saw them into 4x6 and 6x6 cants just to stack lumber on.  after I started sawing them I realized there was nothing wrong with the wood except the black stain in the wood.  It would suitable for stripping on a metal roof.  Does anybody just square some logs and stack the cants to saw later just to save time. I might try this just to saw some barn lumber out of nothing to fancy.  This would really speed up my process.  some times its a couple weeks between orders and when they call they want it the next day.  I saw 2 evenings a week and a few hours on saturday,  having cants just ready to saw would be real nice and give me something to do in between jobs.

Tom

The problems you will incurr on cants is double handling, checks from further drying that will effect lumber that would be protected by the slab, wear and tear on the blades because of drier wood and attack by insects that slabbing would normally remove.

I found it to be counter productive, you might not.

TnSawyer

Cedarman

ERC can be sawed into 3 sided cants and stacked. Bugs never a problem.  Cants stacked properly will last for months.  Best to put a cap on if possible.  Other species do nasty things when the cant dries.  I think white pine would be fine though.  A guy down the road saws big WP into 8" cants and lets them sit for long time.  A little bleach on the cant and it brightens right up.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!