iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

056aveq scored piston

Started by wood monger, February 12, 2010, 12:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wood monger

I have an 056aveq that the dealer says has a scored piston. I have disassembled the saw and the cylinder looks good but the piston is scored. The piston is 52MM, the talk was that a 051 piston is also 52MM but another dealer called the stihl answer man and he said that although it is 52MM its not the same and wouldn't work. The part number I need is 1115-030-2001. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also would like to contact Taxidermist as he lives near me. Saw the talk on previous chat about a similar problem.

Cut4fun

Scott is a good guy to deal with.  I dont know all the 056 stuff, but here is a link to p+c.

I think 056 52mm and super is 54mm and magnum was 56mm. 

For $75 you can get the used p+c and make yourself a super and gain some cc's couldnt you? Lot cheaper then trying to find a oem nla piston that will cost more.

http://store.chainsawr.com/products/stihl-056-av-super-chainsaw-piston-and-cylinder-assembly

Cut4fun

All kinds of 52mm pistons on ebay. Even NOS OEM for $85 or best offer, plus used p+c kits in 52mm.

Just search stihl 056 there.

John Bartley

Before you install any kind of repair piston/cylinder kit, make sure you find out "why" the old one scored ..... leaky seals, leaky gaskets, punctured intake boot, dirty carb ran lean, whatever it is you should find it and fix it first, so that you don't have to buy a second repair kit.

cheers

John
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

trailman

I did that once on a  huskyxp 272. I think i spaced it and didnt use unuff oil in mix. got it fixed. works good now.b

Al_Smith

The question is how badly is it scored ? Deep Grooves are something to worry about .If it isn't real bad though often times the piston can be salvaged .As long as the rings seal and it doesn't rattle around like a bb in a boxcar I wouldn't get real concerned about  it .

You have to keep in mind that the Stihl dealer will recomend repairs that are 100 percent in line with getting the saw in nearly factory fresh condition .Much to be admired  but you can do to a lesser degree  with much success .

Along this same subject line I saw pics today from a web forum concerning an 038av with a slightly scored piston .Good heavens I've saved a bunch that were much worse than that .Much ado over little of nothing .

wood monger

Thank you all for your input. I've been looking on E-bay for a while for a replacement, without much luck. I think I'm going to get a new set of rings, reassemble and cut wood. It's an old saw and I don't want to go through this hassle everytime I need a part. Maybe I'll save my nickels and buy a used, but good newer model. When I disassembled the saw one corner of the cylinder was really packed with oil and sawdust this may have caused some heating problems in this area. Also it was recommended by a couple of dealers to gat a vacuum test done on the saw to ensure I'm not sucking crap into the saw which may have caused this problem. Thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!