iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 440C shaft wobble

Started by 5akman, August 20, 2011, 11:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5akman

I bought a 440C last year sight unseen in Alaska with the intention to use it for my commercial fishing operation. Upon arriving in AK this last June, I found after driving it about 50', that it had a blown head gasket. Between trying to fish and keep the related equipment running, I had very little time to work on the skidder until the week before flying back to CA. Ended up that the head gasket was breached between the two middle cylinder with a bit of pitting on both the block surface and the head. I had the head resurfaced, valve job etc. replaced all the injector and completed the install right up to noticing that the wear buttons that go on top of the valves were missing. Either I lost them when disassembling or the machine shop lost them. By the time they arrived via the local JD dealer, I was back in CA and my buddy will be completing the valve adjustment and reassembly for me.

I did notice that one of the two drive shafts had quite a bit of wobble when the rig was sitting just idling. I assume that it was the shaft driving the winch since the rig wasn't moving so it couldn't have been the shaft driving the rear end. Is this wobble common? If not, is it typically just worn u joints or something worse? What is the fix?

Thanks

Lance
1978 JD 440C

Bobus2003

My 440 has that wobble.. If they are still the same as a '69 It can be caused by one or more of 3 things.. The U-Joints Could be bad, The Splines on the shaft are worn, allowing slop on the shaft, or the Carrier Bearing on the tranny case is shot. Mine had slop in the Splines and the carrier bearing are shot.. My carrier bearing actually wallowed out the retainer on the tranny case so the bearing actually flops around, so it will need welding/machineing to correct it.

5akman

wow! Ok, how do I figure out which of the 3 that it is? How damaging is it to operate as is. I won't put 10 engine hours on this skidder a year with my limited use.
1978 JD 440C

thumper

when i got my 440a the winch shaft looked like a jump rope, and they had been using it that way. I straitened the shaft in my press (not 100% perfct) and its still holding up ok.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

Bobus2003

My 440 has had the wobble since my dad bought it 20 years ago.. Hasn't caused any issues yet after thousands of hours

Doppelganger

If you are not using the winch take it of.

5akman

I'll be using the winch as I mounted a boom off the arch that will allow me to lift totes of fish out of my skiff, ice totes off the back of my flatbed etc. I also mounted a trailer hitch assembly down low on the bash plate so I can hook up my skff trailer to launch the boat. Stupidly, I left Alaska without taking any pictures of it!
1978 JD 440C

Bobus2003

Quote from: 5akman on August 21, 2011, 11:01:49 AM
I'll be using the winch as I mounted a boom off the arch that will allow me to lift totes of fish out of my skiff, ice totes off the back of my flatbed etc. I also mounted a trailer hitch assembly down low on the bash plate so I can hook up my skff trailer to launch the boat. Stupidly, I left Alaska without taking any pictures of it!

I cut a Square out of my Log bumper and recessed a Receiver hitch tube in their. So handy to slip a hitch in their and move a trailer around or pull the Post trailer to the Processor

Thank You Sponsors!