iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Router base plate for bushings?

Started by Brad_bb, November 10, 2018, 01:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I need a baseplate for my Bosch router so that I can use the Rockler Bushing set I bought.  Rockler has a rockler guide bushing router plate:
Guide Bushing Router Plate | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

And a universal base that is clear plexi with an edge guide.
Universal Router Base | Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

Any advice on which is better, or if some other one on the market would be recommended for any particular reason?  I've seen some people make homemade ones for special purposes.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

btulloh

Easy answer is you need bofum.  The round one for most bushing guided work.  The other one is really useful too, but mainly when you're on an edge and the router's kind of tippy.  I have both kinds and wouldn't be without them.  Over time, I've made a dozen different base plates for special operations.  

One thing about bushings:  You have to get the bushing concentric with the bit, or you get some undesirable results.  There are a number of ways to do it.  They even sell little cone shaped things to chuck in the router for aligning the bushing.  There are many ways to do it that don't require buying another doodad. The bushings most of the plates have some play in the hole for the bushing.  Those mounting plates have countersunk holes, so they'll always go where they go.  My plates are counter bored so they have some wiggle room and this has to be accounted for too.  Roy Underhill said one time "Be as accurate as you can.  The funk will always come in on it's own."  Wise words.
HM126

btulloh

As a practical matter, the round one is all you need for 87% of the bushing work.
HM126

Brad_bb

I ended up stopping at Woodcraft this morning and bought the Jasper base plate.
Router Base Plate with Centering Pin
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

btulloh

HM126

Thank You Sponsors!