iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaskan Spruce

Started by Mad Dog 1, February 25, 2009, 02:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Dog 1

Just wanted to find out if there are any Alaskans here who know of a good source for spruce here in the Valley.  I've got some on my property to build with, but will have to supplement that.  Any logging or timber sale companies anybody knows of?  Thanks in advance for the help. ;D
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

SwampDonkey

Well you could always call B..... , never mind. I was just jokingly relating my thoughts to a recent bad acting character. Lets not go down that road again, for a little while at least.   :D

I hope you find a source of spruce though.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

Watch it Donk, somebody will wash yer mouth with soap. :D :D
Bill

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 25, 2009, 06:33:08 AM
Well you could always call B..... , never mind. I was just jokingly relating my thoughts to a recent bad acting character. Lets not go down that road again, for a little while at least.   :D

I hope you find a source of spruce though.  ;D

Care to enlighten me through a PM? ;D

Your sig quote, The Enforcer, correct?  I've got most of Eastwood's movies. 8)

SwampDonkey

:D Just one of a few personalities we had to lead to the front door. :D

As to the signature, Eastwood movie yes. But it was "The Enforcer" when he costarred with Tyne Daley  from the TV series "Cagney and Lacey". ;D

"Sharply? [pause] I really do have a college education." ;D
Sondra Locke in "The Gauntlet"
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 25, 2009, 03:17:26 PM
:D Just one of a few personalities we had to lead to the front door. :D

As to the signature, Eastwood movie yes. But it was "The Enforcer" when he costarred with Tyne Daley  from the TV series "Cagney and Lacey". ;D

"Sharply? [pause] I really do have a college education." ;D
Sondra Locke in "The Gauntlet"

*DanG, I knew it was the one with Tyne Daley.  Magnum Force is the one with the rogue cops, should have given that a little more thought. :D

I corrected my previous post to look like I was correct the first time. :)

Any Alaskans want to chime in with my spruce question?  Maybe point me in the right direction?

clif

Not knowing what or how you are building, I believe there are state, Federal and possibly borough programs that can supply a  citizen with so many trees for personal use to build a home.  I am sure it is dependent upon supply though.  There are large trees up in the Fairbanks area that are being harvested.  If  you can use beetle killed logs, we have quite an infestation problem down here on the Kenai.  I do not know if they are having the same problem up in the Matanuska valley ( if that is the valley you are referring to), if so then often small land owners might be willing to let you harvest them off their property to reduce the fire hazard.  I do not know if this helps you any, if you can be more specific in what you want I might be able to help you more.  The " Alaska spruce" in my general area are Black, White, Sitka, and Lutz ( a hybrid ).  Clif
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

Mad Dog 1

Quote from: clif on February 26, 2009, 01:58:39 AM
Not knowing what or how you are building, I believe there are state, Federal and possibly borough programs that can supply a  citizen with so many trees for personal use to build a home.  I am sure it is dependent upon supply though.  There are large trees up in the Fairbanks area that are being harvested.  If  you can use beetle killed logs, we have quite an infestation problem down here on the Kenai.  I do not know if they are having the same problem up in the Matanuska valley ( if that is the valley you are referring to), if so then often small land owners might be willing to let you harvest them off their property to reduce the fire hazard.  I do not know if this helps you any, if you can be more specific in what you want I might be able to help you more.  The " Alaska spruce" in my general area are Black, White, Sitka, and Lutz ( a hybrid ).  Clif

Clif, thanks for the response.  I believe it's white spruce that I have.  Yes, it's in the Mat-Su Valley, down near the Knik river.  I had thought about putting an ad on craigslist asking to take unwanted spruce, but I have no way of getting them back to the property.  Short of going out and buying a 24-30 foot trailer to haul them, I'm kinda stuck in that regard.  That's why I'm looking for someone I can buy raw timber from, that could drop it off at my place when the time comes.

Since I'm building a log home/cabin, I'll need at least some 24+ footers.  I'll keep looking, hopefully someone else will chime in.  Thanks.

aksawyer

We are getting ready to log off a small sale south of fairbanks on the Parks Highway.As of now though we can only haul 20 ftrs opn our  short logger.Am hoping tobe able to lenthen truck this spring.Will be looking here almost daily.Forest Resourses/Alaska Interior Milling.

Thank You Sponsors!