iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choking Logs

Started by GreenhornChoker, February 03, 2009, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

If you cut an opening in the chain link, I don't think you would need the snap clip.  I would take about 1/4 of the link out.  It would make hooking and unhooking of the chain a lot easier. 

Most of the commercial ones have a loop on the end for a handle.  But, even a T would work pretty good.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecfarm

A good idea.  8)  I welded a place like you mentioned closed.  Yes,you are right,but I hang it on my guard to the winch. I doubt it would come unhooked,but with a snap I know it won't,was my way of thinking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

Well now that the choker thing is figured out, how you gunna skid the logs?  Just wraping the other end of the chain around your drawbar will give you really dirty logs which will dull bands/blades/chainsaws real quick.  I welded up a "plate" like deal for my 3pt which works very well for me by letting the 3pt raise the log and your tractor is big enough to handle most logs I would think, but you need to design it in such a way that you can't get the front of he log hung up while you are skidding it.  You can flip the tractor over on you if you do.  A big arch is even better becausue you dont skid the logs at all.  Several nice arches on this site and some threads on skidding with a tractor dos and dont's
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

missourilogger

Quote from: shinnlinger on February 05, 2009, 10:27:17 PM
Well now that the choker thing is figured out, how you gunna skid the logs?  Just wraping the other end of the chain around your drawbar will give you really dirty logs which will dull bands/blades/chainsaws real quick.  I welded up a "plate" like deal for my 3pt which works very well for me by letting the 3pt raise the log and your tractor is big enough to handle most logs I would think, but you need to design it in such a way that you can't get the front of he log hung up while you are skidding it.  You can flip the tractor over on you if you do.  A big arch is even better becausue you dont skid the logs at all.  Several nice arches on this site and some threads on skidding with a tractor dos and dont's
we have heavy duty bale spears that has a ball on the top of it so he can pick the log up.and if you cant get a chain under it he backs up into the log and spears then lifts it up so you can throw the chain under it it works pretty well actually. I finally figured out what our tractor is its a duetz DX120 2wheel drive with a three point and no loader
i Was here

and here

Woodhog

How do the logs get in the creek????

missourilogger

Quote from: Woodhog on February 06, 2009, 12:34:06 AM
if they're leaning to heavy to wedge them over we just drop it in the creek (if there is one).
i Was here

and here

Chuck White

Quote from: GreenhornChoker on February 04, 2009, 07:16:42 PM
does anyone have or know of any good vids on how to use log tongs?

There are two kinds of tongs for logging.

One type is for loading and the other type is for skidding!

I believe the skidding tongs have a ring to attach the chain/cable to and the loading tongs have a grab-hook to attach the chain/cable to.

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Ron Wenrich

Quote from: missourilogger on February 06, 2009, 08:10:28 AM
if they're leaning to heavy to wedge them over we just drop it in the creek (if there is one).

Do you drag the tops of the trees out?  Working around creeks can be a tricky problem, and there are some laws you might want to check up on.  Each state is different.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Woodhog

Quoteif they're leaning to heavy to wedge them over we just drop it in the creek (if there is one).

Wow if you did that around here the Dept. Of Environment would be after you fast...

We cant get any closer than about 66 feet to a "watercourse" with cutting and the machine
cannot even be run within about 16 feet from any "watercourse" trees or no trees.

They claim a watercourse is anything that water runs in that is at least 20 inches wide...

I could see the big smiles on their faces if they walked in and found me with a tree felled into a brook, tractor backed into the brook chaining up the butt...

Another day of no profit....!!! :D

missourilogger

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on February 06, 2009, 11:02:47 AM
Quote from: missourilogger on February 06, 2009, 08:10:28 AM

Do you drag the tops of the trees out?  Working around creeks can be a tricky problem, and there are some laws you might want to check up on.  Each state is different.
i cut the tops up for firewood
i Was here

and here

Ron Scott

Mignt be a good idea to review the following for Missouri.

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.gov/documents/441.pdf
~Ron

missourilogger

i hope this clears up everything about the creek thing .we only fell 1-4 trees in the creek. but the creek was dry so we just bucked them and got them out. and cleaned up all the brush we didnt have to have the tractor in there though because the butt is usually right there on the bank so you can just hook up and drag it out. we dont cut the trees that are right on the edge we cut the ones that are 10-15' away so we can hook up to the butts.
i Was here

and here

John Woodworth

Check out the three point hitch grapple from Baileys.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

tyb525

Just gonna put in my $.02 (for the economy's sake).

I use a big 1/2" chain (not sure where we got it, we've always had it) to "choke" the log with (wrap it around and hook it tightly onto itself). I have a International 656 (not for use on hilly terrain!) that works great in fairly flat woods (it has plenty of power!). I have a homemade crane attachment for the rear receiver (not sure what the real name is, its not a 3pt, it's the quick connect thing).
For skidding logs I attach it low on the crane. For arranging them in my "log yard"  and if I need to raise the ends up high, I can hook it out towards the end. It comes in handy for lots of other lifting jobs too.

If I'm careful, I can pick shorter (<10') logs completely off the ground by backing up till the crane is touching the logs, lowering it all the way, and hooking it up. When I lift it back up, the butt end stays against the crane and the other end will come off the ground. This is useful again for moving logs around the log yard and mill.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

wi woodcutter

That is a fast hitch on that 656 or some people call it a 2 pt. hitch.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

tyb525

Thanks that's the name I was looking for  :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Chico

good advice on using GOOD chokers or chains  I've got a scar about 6 in long the middle of my underneaty down my cheek from a choker new but too small You have to have a weak point true enough but let it be you stopping the tractor not a cble hanging getting hung and eating someone up they can move fast and go a long way Ron is also right about regs on streams A lot of the time the feds can be in on that one  Just Friendly advice
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

racer9

Just be careful using the tractor for skidding. Alot of rollovers happen using a tractor in the woods for skidding.
Husky 345, Husky 55 rancher, Husky 372xp, Husky 288, Husky 395xp

tyb525

Good advice racer, I only use my tractor on fairly level ground. Make sure to watch out for stumps, etc, that could catch the logs. Also a good idea to keep the leading ends off the ground.

ironmule2004

I use a 540B Grapple skidder but recently had to winch out some logs down in a creek .  We could only pull1 at a time because all we have is a big hook on our cable.  I was wanting to get some chokers for the next time we need to do this.  I thought maybe the chain chokers would be easier as far as keeping them in a toolbox or the truck bed or something.  Where are the cable chokers usually kept on a skidder when not in use?

Maineloggerkid

THey are attatched to slides on the cable. When you unhook them from a log they just hang there on their own. Most people make a system for hanging them up on the back of the skidder, because if they are dragging when you back up, they can snap if caught under the tire. You can sometimes get around this by winching the cable up higher, but it will happen sooner or later.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

lonewolf

One thing I was taught with cable chokers is to push it through from the side you are pulling from. It allows the chokers to flex in the slide/ferrule and helps to keep them from getting twisted and frayed. I have never used chain chokers they may be the ticket in rocky ground but I wouldn't want to drag them to far uphill.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

Stephen Alford

Hey Greenhornchoker, hope all is going well. Sometimes when the chokers are older and worn, it helps if once the end of the choker has been hooked in the slider to jam in a twig or sliver to take up the slack. That way if the tension slacks off for some reason it is less likely to unhook.  :)

logon

Thank You Sponsors!