iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SW Georgia tree

Started by GW, July 24, 2007, 09:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

I haven't seen many like this one on our place. It's in or near the pond site and other nearby trees include Sweetgums, Tulip Poplar, Water Oak, Magnolia Grandiflora, Wild Azalea, and some Loblolly.

If I remember correctly it's about 10 inches dbh.

Thanks.

Dodgy Loner

That would be a black cherry (Prunus serotina).  I'd keep that baby around if I were you, it looks like a fairly straight specimen, (despite the limited vantage point) and it might make a nice timber tree in 10 or 20 years.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

GW

Thanks DL, this tree looks very similar to one that DanG called a cherry.

DanG

Is that not one of those we saw, GW?  The two right by the road were the only cherry trees I saw on the place.  I'm sure there are others, but I noticed that they were scarce on that property. ???  I'd definitely leave some for seed, if for no other reason.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

GW

No DanG it, this one is near the road by where the drain feeds the pond site. It actually may be in the pond site. :-\

SwampDonkey

What you need most? Cherry or mosquitos? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

The birds will take care of the seeding for you ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

You got that right. I have tons of seedlings around the back yard. It's funny to, I'm on the edge of the northern limit of it's range.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Cherry is very shade intolerant.  It likes full sun to grow in.  If it is in full sun, it will grow straight.  If it is under a canopy of other trees, it will grow to the light.  If the light is not directly overhead, the tree will twist to find the light, resulting in sweepy and twisted trees.  Sadly, most of the ones around here are not gun-barrel straight (I still saw them anyway ::)). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!