iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hardwood slabs

Started by bandmiller2, November 09, 2010, 07:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Just bought a dandy old Crescent wood kitchen cook stove.Oak slabs make decent stove wood along with a little pine to git er going.It takes a wile to master a wood oven for baking.Going to reline my chiminey with stainless steel . Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

r.man

I wish I had easy access to any slab wood but especially hardwood. For years I burned nothing but the hardwood slabs from a veneer mill. The bolts were debarked, peeled down to heartwood and then sold for firewood. Some however were run through a gang saw to make pallet material in house. I burned the slabs from the pallet bolts. Clean pure hardwood, even if some of it was a bit small. At that time my owb  would handle 5 ft material so the small wasn't a big problem. I miss slabwood.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

paul case

well,
one of the easiest ways to get too much slabwood is to own a sawmill.
one of the easiest ways to see it all gone is to let it get cold.

i cut all mine into firewood length and sell a 16' truckload w/40'' sides loaded full with my front end loader for $120. right now i have 3 truckloads to deliver to 1 fella by saturday and i will be out with about 15 loads on the waiting list.  it aint cold yet. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ahlkey

One big advantage with hickory slabwood that surprised me that it helps regulate heat. At times I get it a little too hot when firing up and it always seems a little crazy to open a window in winter but I have done it often enough.  So I found that I can regulate the heat nearly perfectly by just putting the right amount of hickory slabwood in my stove  It burns hot with good BTU's and since it is slabwood doesn't last a long resulting in more chances to overheat.   It may be just me but it seems hickory slabwood works much better than other species that generate more ash per btu.   

Tom Sawyer

I burn almost exclusively white oak slabs in my OWF.  I have lots because I saw a pile of fence boards every year.  I love the oak for burning!

Tom

tyb525

I cut them up, burn them for firewood, and bundle them into campfire size bundles and sell them for 2.50 to whoever wants them.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

cutterboy

Hey Frank, there is nothing like a kitchen cook stove. I have a Glenwood K and have been using it for years. Here, take a look.

This last picture shows my wife Cheryl loading a red oak slab through the top. I put in a stainless steel chimney for it when we built the house, never had a problem with it. Cheryl got really good at regulating the temp in the oven and used to bake bread and goodies in it. She still bakes but only uses the gas oven.

The Glenwood is also a great heater. Once you get all that cast iron hot it radiates a nice even heat even after the fire goes out. And if my feet get cold I just open the oven door, pull up a chair, and put my stocking feet right in it. Oh man! Then with a mug of coffee and a peice of homemade apple pie, ahhhh, that's the good life.

Frank, you're going to love your stove, probably even more than you think you will.

Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

bandmiller2

Ralph,yours is the classic kitchen stove most are not in as good shape.Mine looks very close to yours in size and setup,only gray porcelin.I'am going to reline the chimney with stainless steel flue. Frank C.

paul case

i had a fella(neighbors son in law) come pick up a truckloads of slabs in a semi with a end dump trailer today.he was taking them to his home in seneca,ks. 5hours away. he said the only wood they have much of is cottonwood and hedge,which isnt suitable to burn in his owbfurnace. pc
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

northwoods1

Quote from: cutterboy on November 09, 2010, 08:09:16 PM
Hey Frank, there is nothing like a kitchen cook stove. I have a Glenwood K and have been using it for years. Here, take a look. 

This last picture shows my wife Cheryl loading a red oak slab through the top.

Hey how you get that slab through that little hole??  :D ha ha my wife makes me chop it up a lot finer! I could not get by with out at least some type of radiant heat woodstove in my house, going to be a rainy, windy, snow is just getting here kind of day today sure is nice to walk in to the kitchen and have a warm fire going :)

bandmiller2

I haven't bought a gallon of heating oil in many years.Walk into a house with a hot air furnace then walk into a home with wood heat.Alot of work but after a wile you don't even think of it.The coming years will bring shortages and high prices for fossle fuels,yuppies will freeze their little bippies,and what was old will be new again.Frank C.

northwoods1

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 12, 2010, 07:29:12 AM
,and what was old will be new again.Frank C.

Hey I like that, what was old will be new again... ain't that the truth?  :)

paul case

kinda like history repeats itself.  guess some folks didnt learn much the first time around or there are always new folks like me who have to learn for themselves.pc
pc

Slingshot

Ecclesiastes 1:9,10;
                     The thing that has been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done
                 is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.
                     Is there anything wherof it may be said, See, this is new? It hath been
                 already of old time, which was before us.

Peter Drouin

WOOD HEAT IS NICE 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

cutterboy

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 12, 2010, 07:29:12 AM
and what was old will be new again.Frank C.

I like that too. Frank, you've been holding out on us. I think you're a poet. :P ;D

cutterboy

Quote from: northwoods1 on November 12, 2010, 06:43:39 AM
Quote from: cutterboy on November 09, 2010, 08:09:16 PM

This last picture shows my wife Cheryl loading a red oak slab through the top.

Hey how you get that slab through that little hole??  :D ha ha my wife makes me chop it up a lot finer! I could not get by with out at least some type of radiant heat woodstove in my house, going to be a rainy, windy, snow is just getting here kind of day today sure is nice to walk in to the kitchen and have a warm fire going :)

DanG, Northy you caught me! :-[  Actually that slab was not cut for that stove. I have a large wood stove in the basement where I burn most of the slabs. But because Frank was talking about getting a wood cook stove and because the heading of this thread was "Hardwood slabs", I thought I'd show my wife loading our wood cook stove with a hardwood slab. However, I did manage to get that slab in through that little hole. :D ;D
   You sure are right about how nice it is to have a warm fire going in the kitchen.    Ralph

bandmiller2

Ralph, I'am not a poet more like a parrot I just remember and repeat. Frank C.

northwoods1

Quote from: bandmiller2 on November 14, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
Ralph, I'am not a poet more like a parrot I just remember and repeat. Frank C.

:D another good one :D

Chuck White

When you remove the front and rear plates, then remove the center plate, the  slabs of that size will go in with room to spare.

Just remove them with the lifter.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

cutterboy

Hi Chuck. I see you know about cook stoves. You are absolutly right about removing the plates to get a big peice of wood in. However, if you do that while there is fire in the box smoke comes out into the kitchen and that makes my wife mad. boxingsmiley whiteflag_smiley  But, I can take the front round plate off and lift the center plate just enough to get a long or big peice of wood in.

and FRANK, you sure have a way with words. I always enjoy your posts.    Ralph

ladylake

I have some WO slabs in the stove downstairs right now and some doors and windows upstairs open, a little over 80 in here right now.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

I delivered a load of White Oak slabs to Jerry yesterday.  My doorbell just rang, and in walked Jerry carrying a smoked turkey.  Life is Good !!!

Turning slabs into Turkey.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Wintergreen Mountain

WOW,

slabs to turkey sure look GOOD!!!!!!   Leon
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

SAWMILL BUDDY

Man, I need to find me a Jerry ;D

Thank You Sponsors!