iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Converted Saw Head to Hydrostatic Drive

Started by Wintergreen Mountain, November 20, 2010, 04:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintergreen Mountain

I havn't sawed since July. Had a lot of trouble with the old kohler Magnum engine that came off from an 18hp lawn tractor i had.   :'(  :'(.
    Last month i decided to experiment with the other engine option i wanted to try. I been collecting parts for this engine installation since last January .
    Last week was the first start up and test run. It was well worth the trouble and and patients i endured.
    The engine is a VW rabitt diesel 48hp. I had to modify the bell housing so i could mount a PVB10 Vikers piston pump to it. Installed a Hoof belt driven governor, driven off crank front pulley. Made a hydraulic tank and mounted the radiator,and electric fan on one side. Made a portable fuel tank.
    The saw head has a Parker gear motor drivng the band with a 6 1/4" drive pulley.
    There are two 3/4" two wire hoses 50ft long from the power unit to the saw head that drape and roll along the mill track.
    Sawed about 1200 bf while getting the thing tweaked to inprove it.

As i said, this thing is working very well. something is going to go wrong. It's Got Too!!!! 8)  8)  8)
    I'll try to post some pictures.

Very Happy,  Leon

1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

bill m

If your hydraulic tank is not big enough the only problem you might have is the oil getting hot in the summer. You might have to add in an oil cooler. Other than that it sounds like a great set up.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

fishpharmer

looking forward to the pics.   8)

I am about ready to upgrade my 18 briggs.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ladylake

I'd have to ask why hydro drive when a simple pulley and belt works great with out power robbing hydraulics.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Tronvik

That vw engine remote sounds great. I have kubota 18hp diesel that I want to put on my 1984 lt 30. I cannot do remote setup, think the diesel is too much weight for the old style main rail. So i went with a kohler 18 v commander. But would like to have that diesel running wvo, just like my tractors and powerstroke.
1984 lt30, john deere 750

jpgreen

Definitely peaked my interests on this one.

Please posts pics and more results .... 8) 8) 8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

jpgreen

In fact-

I'm wondering if one of my Listeriod 6/1's could utilize it's large flywheel torque and heavy fluid flow to turn enough hydraulics to drive an LT40.  That would open up a whole world of possibilities.

Could even power the whole system with wood gassification.

A Woodmizer that powers itself ... :D

Most likely not but one can dream can't one? ... ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

ladylake

Is that 6hp, no unless your logs are 2' long.. Keep it simple.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Wintergreen Mountain

ladylake,

The main reason for remote is that the carriage head  could not handle the weight. Engine, pump, hydraulic tank, cooler and frame. Much over an average air cooled, 30hp and over, would be to heavy for the carriage head. The power unit weighs about 480lbs. Also that 48hp saws ash as easy as the old 18hp kohler sawed popul.
Also isolates 2/3rds of the noise with the power unit 30 ft from the work area. If it is cold working i will move the power unit close to me so the cooling air stream flows toward my frozen Butt.

jpgreen,
  I have an oil cooler on the unit and took it off for the coming winter.

Leon

1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

Ron Wenrich

We used to run an edger with a hydraulic motor.  I'm not sure of the hp rating, but we ran the hydraulic pump off of a 671 Detroit which also powered our chipper.  2 for 1 type of deal.

But, if you're doing a remote type of power unit, I wonder if its not more beneficial to run a power unit and run with electric vs hydraulic. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Wintergreen Mountain

Ron Wenrich,

I am sure that electric would be more efficient. I know hydraulics very well and will be automating this mill further as time goes on. Log turner, Hyd log rack, Hyd. feed, hyd. Toe boards, and Backstops. I also have connected it to my 3 point hitch wood spliter to try it and it tripples the speed splitting, and is still at a safe operating speed. Think i'll put a set of wheels under the splitter an tow i from now on.
  Leon.

Wintergreen Mountain

Pictures of my hyd. drive conversion. If i figured out how to load them.

Wintergreen Mountain

Dind't work. I cannot figure out how to post the pictures. I usually can post things with no trouble, but this system doesn't guide you through it. Can anybody help me?

Wintergreen Mountain

I finally got the pictures in My Gallery.

Wintergreen Mountain

Wintergreen Mountain

beenthere

Good on ya wintergreen mtn.  8)

DanG thing is just like a computer...so close, yet ya feel so far away.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Wintergreen Mountain

beenthere,

Ya Gotta be almost as smart as the computer in order to run it. And i ain't very smart.    Leon.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

fishpharmer

Wintergreen, that's a dang cool setup.  How gpm flow does you supply provide? 

Also, what kind of hydraulic motor did you put on the sawmill.  I like it.

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Wintergreen Mountain

fishpharmer,

It's 10gpm @2000rpm Vickers PVB10 piston pump. I am running 2600rpms. around 13gpm.

Motor is a parker 1.2cid gear pump with aux drive on the back. I will mount an 8gpm pump on the back of the motor to run mill hydraulics eventually.

Leon

fishpharmer

Thank You Sponsors!