iDRY Vacuum Kilns

A new Forum Feature?

Started by DR Buck, July 28, 2011, 05:26:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I just noticed a "new" reature today.    I'm thinking it's not a FF feature, but a feature of IE 9.0    A list of Who's on line and an chat feature.    Anybody have insight to this?

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

No, it is a new forum feature and it should work with all browsers, not just IE.  The bar goes across the entire length of the page, and you might notice some icons on the left end to some forum "extras".

What everyone should be aware of with the chat feature, is that it is not a private message system like your personal messages. The chat feature creates a security log that can be accessed by a site admin if it ever needed to be, so its a good idea to treat it like you would public areas of the forum. Use it to communicate, have fun with it, but use it wisely.  :)

Another feature is that you can use it to transfer files directly to one another if you have a need.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

[chat] Man, that Jeff guy.  I just don't know about him.  He's always adding new cool stuff to the forum. [/chat]  ;) ;D

My way of saying I like it.

Bibbyman

What?  Something new.   I don't think I'm smart enough to know something new.  :'(

What's the value in a "chat" that can't be put in a post or i/m to someone if it's just between two members?

I've had members send me i/m asking questions that would be better off posting on the open forum so everyone could help or learn.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

And I have used it already.  Pineywoods sent me a message and I figured out how to answer.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 28, 2011, 07:57:06 PM
What?  Something new.   I don't think I'm smart enough to know something new.  :'(

What's the value in a "chat" that can't be put in a post or i/m to someone if it's just between two members?

I've had members send me i/m asking questions that would be better off posting on the open forum so everyone could help or learn.

Its an alternative for a quick real time exchange between members on things that have no interest to the forum in its entirety, At least that's what I am going with. Gotta keep up with the times Bib. One thing I personally like about it is not the chat, but the little pop up that lets you know who is coming and going no matter where you may be on the forum. Its got be noticing just how many members check in everyday that I would not notice most any other time.  The little link Icons on the left I think are a plus as well. Easy access. It might even give me another place to give a sponsor an alternative place to be noticed. Maybe a sponsor of the month link or something.  :) :)

Jeff

One thing I have just decided to do, is limit the chat window to your "buddy list"  You will have to add buddies to be able to use the chat window to correspond with. You can add as many as you like, but doing it this was greatly reduces the chance of server drags.

When somepne adds you as a buddy from your profile, you will get an instant message from the forum "Notifier" letting you know you need to either go approve it, or ignore it.

SwampDonkey

I see, It's kind of like internet relay chat (IRC) without a privacy option.

It's a nifty feature Jeff.

But, for anyone trying to chat with me using the cometchat toolbar, just letting everyone know that I have it disabled on this end. Not being a grumpy here, just letting you know so no one gets frustrated.  ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Piston

I was hoping the new forum feature was going to be a new smartphone app  ;D 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

WH_Conley

When I saw that little toolbar on the bottom of the page, I bounced my daughter and her boyfriend, asking them what they did to my computer. Giess I should look further next time. Probably not.
Bill

thecfarm

I thought my wife added something again.
Thank-you Jeff.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ron Wenrich

I noticed that the "Who's online" never matches the ones in the "users online".  I've never been on my "who's online".  Aren't they joined or is there a big time delay?
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Lag was always an issue on large irc servers with thousands of users and being networked across the globe with other servers. But, probably much reduced here on the FF depending on the server load on the main forum functions (posting, picture display).

Another thing being introduced here is file sharing and Jeff has made a good point of only allowing the use of this and chat with "buddies" as some turd using a shell account could try and use it as a file sharing site and really slow up the system.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on July 29, 2011, 06:44:26 AM
I noticed that the "Who's online" never matches the ones in the "users online".  I've never been on my "who's online".  Aren't they joined or is there a big time delay?

They are not connected, as it is two different processes, but if you look they are close to the same. The bottom bar however alphabetizes. I also did some tweaks to it last evening and went back to running where everyone is on, not just buddies, at least for now while I get on a handle on how the server handles it.

Magicman

What does the green/yellow dot denote?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

submarinesailor

I have already screwed something up on it.................. ::) ::) ::)

Raider Bill tried to buddy me and I deleted him by mistake.  Got to work on not deleting my friends :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D Sorry Bill

Bruce

beenthere

Quote from: Magicman on July 29, 2011, 12:24:15 PM
What does the green/yellow dot denote?

Nothing runs like a Deere
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

I did the same thing Bruce.
Bill

isawlogs

I did not delete the ones asking , just was not sure how to do it the correct way , best leave things be if not sure .. well that really ain't how things usualy go, but this time that is what I did .  :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Quote from: beenthere on July 29, 2011, 02:08:53 PM
Nothing runs like a Deere 

I agree with that, now what are the dots  ???    :D :D :D

Radar67

Green means they are online and active, yellow means they are online, but inactive.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

What Radar said. It's pickier than the who's online list. It drops you to inactive after only about 5 minutes. I think it's 10 or 15 on the forum who's on list

DR Buck

Quote from: submarinesailor on July 29, 2011, 02:01:45 PM
I have already screwed something up on it.................. ::) ::) ::)

Raider Bill tried to buddy me and I deleted him by mistake.  Got to work on not deleting my friends :o :o :o ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D Sorry Bill

Bruce

Way to go Bruce. And I thought raider Bill was an OK guy.   ;)      Next thing you know you'll be deleting the admins and Jeff will have to send you to the woodshed.     :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Banjo picker

My dots are green and orange...is my computer got the chicken pocks...And while we are asking questions...What does that bug mean that has been running around on my profile for so long now...I thought I would figure it out by just waiting and reading...but that ain't happened.... :D   Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Jeff