iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Central Boiler Classic 6048 finally Up & Running.

Started by DR Buck, November 02, 2008, 09:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I'll try and get this thread back on topic.  ::)

As of today, Im almost finished phase 2 of the CL6048 project.

Here is a shot of the new barn (garage) I recently had put up.  Tomorrow the concrete gets poured.  :)

This effort has been a long time coming and is completly funded by part-time custom milling.  :)

As you can see in these next two photos the garage is going to have under floor heat.  :) :)

These two shots show where everything comes together and goes goes under wall to the CL6048 and the power panel in the house.   

This last photo I refer to as "my thinking ahead photo"  ;D    The wider spacing between the pex runs is to give me a place to "safely" drill  holes to mount my tire changing machine without drilling through my heat tubing.  ;)

This is going to be so great working with not only a concrete floor, but one with heat.   8) 8) 8).   I'm not going to miss laying on gravel or wet grass.  ;D     If all goes as planned, I should be moving in by thanksgiving day.   8) 8) 8)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

OneWithWood

So now I have to build another building . . . ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

DR Buck

OneWithWood

check, with heat  8)

It will be my new bio diesel processing facility - with no flame heat  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

farmerdoug

DR Buck,

Did you put foam insulation under the gravel?

Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

DR Buck

Quote from: farmerdoug on November 24, 2008, 02:00:44 PM
DR Buck,

Did you put foam insulation under the gravel?

No....This is Virginia,  not Michigan.  :D

farmerdoug

I know. ::)

But you will be suprised at the heat loss to the ground even in your area. ;D
Doug
Fargo, MI

tonto

Dr Buck, I am so jealous, This is the type and size of building that I would like to build someday and also heat with my Central Boiler. What size is it and what do you think you will have invested in it if you don't mind me asking?
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

beenthere

farmerdoug
That VA ground is gonna be warmer soon... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DR Buck

Quote from: tonto on November 24, 2008, 07:18:28 PM
Dr Buck, I am so jealous, This is the type and size of building that I would like to build someday and also heat with my Central Boiler. What size is it and what do you think you will have invested in it if you don't mind me asking?

Building is 30 x 40 x 10     Cost ~21k including under floor heat (not the boiler).

farmerdoug

Beenthere,

Then they will be turning on  their airconditioners back on. ::) :D :D :D :D
Doug
Fargo, MI

rowerwet

Quote from: thecfarm on November 07, 2008, 08:37:54 PM
That's how I did mine.I do lose some heat this way.I only buried my lines about 18 inches.The snow will stay on top of where the lines are buried for 2-3 days than it's bare ground. Would the more expensive PEX pipe pay for itself in 10 years?
I got the thermopex, I have 85', not cheap but I loose no heat and the ground in my backyard is frozen solid over the pipe run. I also see no heat loss from one end to the other. The claim is 1* for every 100'.
Husky 460, Fiskars x27, X7

terra8186

I purchased a central boiler 6048 3 years ago.  I run it just during the winter months.  I get real tired of burning at the end of winter and don't want to worry about it until October.  I burn
20-30 cords of wood during this time period.  2/3 of this is for my 2 outbuildings:  40x60 and a 30x30.

Don't get to anxious about empting your ashes.  My salesman told me you would lose a lot of heat if you didn't leave a lot of ash.  I didn't really believe him, but I have noticed a huge difference for 2-3 days after I empty.  I do this once/month.  I leave a lot of ash still in the box.

I also had a draft inducer installed on my when it was new.  I don't recommend one.  I took it off this year and reduced my wood consumption by 1/3.

You should love your new boiler.

DR Buck

I'm getting ready for the coming heating season.    The slab pile is in good shape and should carry me for some time.   I also have a number of downed oaks back in the woods to haul out.    I expect it will be sometime mid to late October when I fire it up.

I also think I fixed one of the issues I had last winter.   The smoke from the CB would hang low around the back yard and you could smell it in the house when there wasn't any wind blowing.   I added two additional sections of smoke stack to get it up clear of all obstructions.  It wasn't cheap, but it was necessary.   The top of the stack is now 20' off the ground.    Besides the two chimney sections, I had to buy the brace kit, bottom brace ring and reinforcing band clamps for each section.   

I still need to get the propane line connected for the backup burner.  I haven't used it at all yet.   But if I plan on being gone 3 days or so I will need it.   However, it takes a while for the fire to burn out and for the water to cool down.  Last year when I shut it down, it took 7 days for the coals to cool down and the water temp to drop below 100°.   :)

tonto

Dr Buck, I ran mine all summer just to see how much of a pain it would be to run. Not that bad, only burned about a cord and a half of scrap wood since April. Smoke can be a little tricky as the wind can be very still sometimes - not going were it normally does. When it would not cooperate I would just lower the temp so it wouldn't come on and wait for the wind to pick up and then raise the temp - never had to re-light the stove, sometimes even 3-4 days later. I am so happy with this stove I just can't believe I didn't do it sooner. Have not burned a drop of oil since Nov 08. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

DR Buck

I'm about a month into burning this year and all is well.  I have made one change this summer that has help immensely.  I added two more sections of chimney for a total of 4.   I then put the cap back on top (screen removed) to keep the rain out.    So far this year I have not had any problems with ground level smoke.  Last year we had a lot of smoke oder getting into the house because it was hanging low to the ground.   Now the top is 20 above ground and the smoke drifts away.  8)     On the down side, I no longer get those spectacular flames shooting out of the chimney when I open the door to feed the fire.  ;D 

JJ

I buy the thermoplex from CB, and it runs mostly 3' under ground, but there is place it is only 6" to 8" and snow doesn't melt.
I think the thermoplex is worth the $.

JJ

Thank You Sponsors!