iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

indoor house stairs grippers

Started by Randy88, March 29, 2018, 11:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy88

My house has wooden stairs, as a kid with socks on, I'd occasionally slip myself, now I own the house and the same nice wooden stairs are there, we don't wear shoes in the house and usually wear socks and as things do happen, my wife slipped and landed at the base of the stairs in a heap one night last week, as she said, first only her ego was injured, and next, she doesn't bounce like she did as kid.     

I've cussed the stairs over the years myself, and finally made the decision to add grippers of some sort to the stair treads, but since I've never had any, never used any, don't know the pro's or cons of any, was wanting some input as to what others use or like, or dislike.    

Kbeitz

My sister put some on here stairs a few years ago. Looks like upside down sand paper. They are holding up good.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

barbender

Randy, I have wooden treads on my stairs as well, and they are slick with socks on. I know the sandpaper strips would work, but they're a bit homely. I've wanted to rout some grooves parallel to the length of the treads, that would add some traction. Unfortunately, I haven't got to that after about 5 years in the house, maybe I better just get that sandpaper material😊 I think Gator Grip is one brand of it, it comes in a roll.
Too many irons in the fire

jason.weir

if the stairs are painted you can repaint then with an anti slip additive in the paint.

It's probably just fine grained sand, but it works good and doesnt change the look,

If they are not painted - look into a stair runner, easy to install and gives you the traction you need..

Magicman

After a few tumbles by family members I put the sandpaper strips down on the Cabin stairs. 

Well it is "just a Cabin" but those are some steep stairs.  :o  You can see the strips on the lower treads in the above picture.  No one has fallen since I put them down.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Have a nice runner made to go up the middle of them. If you still fall, it cushions the landing. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Don P

Silica sand in some poly on the treads?

Randy88

How much silica sand do you add to the clear finish?

Don P

That was just an off the cuff, I remember it being an additive to paint for traction. A quick google turned up several no skid clear coats though. I'd like to hear what you come up with.

Randy88

The next time I'm near home depot, I'm going to pick up some gator grip and try that, thanks for all the replies and suggestions that have been given.

Ed_K

I'm right with Randy88, when I was at HD we asked about this subject and all the helper did was point us to regular stair treads. It's all in how to ask the right question. Now we know what to ask for, thanks everyone.
Ed K

DWyatt

I would think that you could scuff the existing clear on the stairs then get a slow setting poly, recoat the steps individually and sprinkle some sort of sand on the wet poly. After the first coat with the sand dries you can go back and recoat the steps. This way you wouldn't waste a whole can of poly by mixing the sand in the can. This would also allow you to make some samples first and throw them on the floor and walk over thmtfor a few days to see how much sand you want on them.

I've done this on hat wagons before using paint and it worked very well.

Word from the wise, coat the steps towards the exit, or post a video of you scaling the wall after you're trapped at the wrong end of the steps! :D

Jemclimber

@Magicman,

Can you elaborate on those stair stringers?  I see the grain runs horizontally. Did you just glue or nail a veneer to your stringers for appearance? Or...
lt15

Magicman

Thank You for noticing.  Yes, I nailed short pieces of the same old recovered SYP on the stringers.  There is also a sorta cubbyhole to the left of the microwave & toaster oven that goes between the stringers for additional space.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

alan gage

If you don't mind the aesthetics I think the stick down sandpaper strips would work fine. Otherwise I'm with Don on adding anti-slip agent to poly and giving them another coat or two. I bought some of the anti-slip agent for my bathroom when finishing the bare concrete floors and it worked well. Used it on the floor of a couple canoes too. You mix it in with the finish before applying or can sprinkle it on when wet. I think it's probably best to mix it in. Doesn't take much. 

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Slingshot

In my painting days I mixed Pumice powder in paint for anti-skid on
  porch floors and steps. Hardly noticeable but worked good.
   (ground up volcanic rock )

- sling_shot

Thank You Sponsors!