iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Grizzly 1033x Problem

Started by brad918, August 25, 2018, 10:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad918

Hi guys, hoping someone may be able to help. I have a grizzly 1033x planer bought in 2015. Today I planned a few Maple boards down shut off the machine and when I went to start back up the motor won't "turn over" it makes a noise like it's bogged down. I can easily turn the belts so I don't think it's seized up. Anyone else have this issue? I plan on calling Grizzly Monday.
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

WDH

I bogged down my GO544 one time too many and ended up burning some of the insulation off some of the internal components and toasted the motor.

Two things that you can do.  Check the start capacitors to make sure that they are good.  Both my planer motors have two capacitors.  There is a centrifugal switch with contact points that disengages the start capacitors once the motor starts up, and these points can wear out or arc.  That is an easy fix.  Grizzly has a video on how to replace the centrifugal switch. 

How-To Troubleshoot a Motor and Adjust Centrifugal Switches - YouTube
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Our old Rockwell planer did that one time when a starting capacitor needed to be replaced, just as suggested by WDH.  Following the "safety third" plan, I started the planer by pulling the belt to get the motor going until we replaced the capacitor (I am not condoning or recommending this practice).

Caveman

brad918

Thanks guys I think you are both correct. I checked the starting capacitor with an ohm meter and looks to be shorted.
WM LT35HDG25 (2017)

Thank You Sponsors!