iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 084 oil leak

Started by GearDrive, October 15, 2018, 01:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GearDrive

I was using my 084 on my slabber mill and noticed excessive oil consumption. I filled it up again and saw that oil was dripping out onto the bar.  I pulled it apart to find a hole through the case. I guess it was from corrosion. 

GearDrive

I drilled it out and tapped it 8-32 and screwed a flat head screw in along with epoxy.

Hope it holds.

Al_Smith

Typical of the "white death ".The E coat has became knocked off allowing the exposed aluminum alloy to be subject to "galvanic " reaction .This condition will be more pronounced if the saw is allowed to come in contact with  concrete for long periods of time .
One component of Portland cement is blue clay which contains alumina which is close to aluminum in atomic number .Aluminum is classified like zink,a sacrificing metal .It tries to become part of the concrete .

HolmenTree

Your right Al, my 26 year old 066 is showing signs of magnesium degradation from sitting on a garage  floor in the off season .
After this years rebuild and paint job it's sitting on higher ground in storage and foam rubber in the back of the pickup while on duty. :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

A piece of lumber,rubber anything will work .You can see the same thing with aluminum screen doors etc.
As a matter of fact according to a small mention in the national electrical code you can't install aluminum conduit in a poured concrete floor.

Thank You Sponsors!