iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I bought a mortiser (older model powermatic 719)

Started by Dan_Shade, December 18, 2018, 09:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

It's depth stop is different from the newer ones, it's the first thing on the list to fix. 

I made a nice through mortise in a scrap piece of pine. 

My wife was not impressed  because it only Drills a square hole. I didn't have a good rebuttal for that one....  :) 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Dan_Shade

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

JV

You will really appreciate it the more you use it.  I used a friend's and they sure beat my drill press attachment.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

chet

As we were unloading my new mortiser off the truck, the puzzled driver asked me 'what is a Mor-tis-er'.  I told him it's for drilling square holes. Obviously irritated he replied, "If ya don't want ta tell me that's fine"   :D   Sometime later that same driver made another delivery to me. I took him out ta da shop and demonstrated drilling a square hole. We both had a good laugh.  ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DR Buck

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on December 20, 2018, 07:50:00 AM
That looks heavy.  Much more so than my Delta.
I agree.  I have a 1hp Delta that doesn't look as beefy as the Powermatic.   I picked mine up new in the box at an auction for about $60 with one bit.   I think a new set of 4 sizes cost me another $80.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

terrifictimbersllc

I've got the same one (Powermatic). It's got all the adjustments, mass and power and gets the job done, though it's not that refined.  Trying to keep the chisel from burning is the main game with it. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

lquist

I'm wondering if you know how this older mortiser compares to the current benchtop 701 model, and the 719T floor model. It looks like the prior 719A which was a floor standing model with XY table but no tilt.
You mentioned the depth stops- what did you do to change them?
Do you have a manual for this machine? I am considering buying one in a private sale and am concerned with lack of available documentation on the machine. 
Thanks
Tom

Kindlinmaker

I have a 719T and it quickly became one of my favorite tools. All of the gizmos and fastening systems available just don't measure up to the real McCoy. It makes M&Ts easy and perfect. You'll become very attached to it!

Iquist - Bring a friend when you move it. It is heavier than it looks but all that mass is what allows it to work so well. 

If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

Dan_Shade

I haven't used the one that I have very much, but I do like using it.  Much more efficient than the drill press attachment that I used to use. 

I'm not sure about parts availability.  

I don't have a manual for it. It's a pretty simple machine, there are several good youtube videos on setting them up.  I think the most important thing is to have the bit extending past the chisel a little bit.  I use a nickel to set up this space.  If the bit is too close to the chisel, it gets really hot. 

I haven't done anything with the depth stops, I've learned how to pay attention to the depth stop while using it. 

Thank You Sponsors!