iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sealing or finishing cedar

Started by Kwill, December 24, 2018, 09:22:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

I am thinking about milling some cedar out like car siding to use in my house on the walls. I would like for it to have that shiny look like the boards you see people. Putting on the walls in cabins and stuff. I've never done any sealing or finishing of any kind so I kinda lost when it comes to it.  anyone been down this road and have any advice on what to use.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

WDH

I have used satin polyurethane with good results.  I am not a fan of high gloss finishes.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kwill

I like the look of the pine siding people use and wanted to do the same finish to cedar since I have an abundance of it. Most of it looks like a shiny finish.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

opticsguy

Behr makes some excellent clear finishes for exterior exposures, limited to about 6? years for an exposed wooden deck and one whole heck of a lot longer used on siding.  
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

Bruno of NH

My house has all wood walls and ceilings except the ceiling in the great room and loft it has drywall.
I used cabots spar varnish in satin.
I like what spar does to the knots.
I have a wall of Windows that lets in a lot of sun.
The spar holds up well.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

firefighter ontheside

Minwax polycrylic.  Choose the level of shine you want.  Test it on a piece before you put it on your wall.  It is water based, dries fast and has minimal odor.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Tongue oil works well with cedar too. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rjwoelk

Minwax poly wipeon. 3 coats was good. Wipe it on let sit for a few min tgen wipe off excess. Wait 3 hrs light sanding repeat. 
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Thank You Sponsors!