iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What did you all make for Christmas

Started by doc henderson, January 01, 2019, 12:16:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

Since I finally figured out the easy way to get pics from my phone into the gallery, and we have been dancing around this a little anyway thought I would start this thread

<br

Happy New Year!!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

GAB

To you and all FF Members I wish you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

samandothers

No pictures, so maybe it did not happen.  

I made a suet feeder holder out of some cedar and a long oversized ruler used to record the grand daughters height.  It was made from quarter sawn white oak.

Neighbor wanted a couple of doors to install onto rolling tracks for a closet.  We made those from white oak also.

Doc,
What is the last item pictured?

:new_year:

doc henderson

sorry.  Those are two cutting boards for my brother-in-laws.  one with his logo for his co and the other for my jeep loving other brother in law.  felt like I was getting carried away with pics so used a two in one photo.  We have a laser engraver.  spalted maple and walnut.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

other pics may help.  9 x 13 x 1,5 inches each

this is before sanding and finish

WV Sawmiller

Nothing that fancy. just a set of wood blocks and such for my 2 y/o grandson to play with. I will say if he has as much fun playing with them as I did making them we will both be real happy.

Of course we dumped them out for him to play with a he got up and tripped over one and my wife and I heard him say "Stupid Block." We thought that was funny for a 2 y/o. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Most the stuff we get our kids these days leave nothing to the imagination.  This  is how kids learn to solve problems and "make" new things.  A genius is someone who can solve problems in ways that have never been done before.   When he is older, it might just get him out in the wood shop with grandpa!  Now who is the genius. :laugh:.  good work WV

doc henderson

I don't want to get in trouble but I  made this for myself.  I got a couple stihl shop stools and the vinyl cover came apart,  I have a buddy boy scout dad who does leather.   I recovered the stools.

My wife never did get that saw to start!   smiley_blush lol

WV Sawmiller

I was in charge of our housing and maintenance on a project in Africa and we had a metal grate over a narrow runoff ditch in the driveway to one our apartments. the cover was metal and almost directly under a neighbor's bedroom window. The grate was not level and rattled/clanked every time someone drove over it. Our guards and drivers drove over it several times a night and would wake up the neighbor who was irate. We really wanted to be good neighbors and I struggled on how to fasten it down or muffle it with rubber or such. I finally gave up and called my metal worker contractor to come look at it with me and showed him the problem and asked how he could fix it. He took one look and said "Put wood down". The ditch was only about a foot wide and 12-14 ft long. It cost us almost nothing to put down a bunch of 2"X8"X 12" blocks side by side. They were cheap and near silent.

I heat with wood we pass through a coal chute door. Used to take 3 people to get wood in. I'd pass it in to our daughter standing in a chair who would pass to our son to go fill the wood rack and they fought tooth and nail as teenagers and tweens do. I struggled with how to make a wood box I could fill by myself from outside then come in and lower. I was looking at it and a 16 y/o kid whose parents moved during the year and he was living with us through the remainder school year came by. He asked what I was doing and I told him I was trying to figure how fix the wood problem. He looked and said "Make a raised wood box". I did that afternoon out of scrap lumber laying around and we are still using it 20 years later. I made the bottom about waist high and I don't even have to bend over to pick up the firewood. I can throw in nearly a weeks worth of wood at one trip. I could not see the forest for the trees.

I understand we American's spent millions developing a pen that would write in outer space for our astronauts to use. The Russians used a pencil. We make things too complicated sometimes when simple answer are often staring us right in the face.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

My daughter wanted a bench where my grandkids could sit and put on/take off their shoes and a rack for their coats and book bags. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Larry

I learned how to make Christmas ornaments this year.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

doc henderson

Is that walnut and maple, how did you add the color?  Unless it's and old family secret?

Larry

The last one is mesquite, bloodwood, and maple.  The red and green in all of the ornaments is died poplar veneer, something I get on ebay. 
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

Jeff

I spent an entire day and made Troll pies, froze and vacuum packed them for gifts, along with the surprise second gift that went with each pie of a small jar of gravy.  

I also made something for the newest member of the family that some of you may have met at the pigroast, my Son's girlfriend Brandy.  This is her opening what I made for her.

swissrolls - YouTube
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doc henderson

Very Funny.  You guys seem to have fun at your house.

curved-wood

Quote from: Larry on January 01, 2019, 09:37:49 PM

Those ornements are really nice 

bags

I make 400-500 of these candle holders, lamps and patio tables through the year from mostly aspen scraps from the mill and sell'em at Christmas time.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Nice wooden gifts!!
And Jeff, you did good too!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Hilltop366

I turned a small bowl for my sister, forgot to take a picture.

Dan_Shade

Quote from: Larry on January 01, 2019, 09:37:49 PM

Larry, these are very nice. 
Are they hollow?  If so  what do you use to hollow them out? 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

47sawdust

Bedside table for my wife

Not woodworking but a metal bird feeder for my Grandson and his family-

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Larry

Dan, yes they are hollow.  The first ones had a wall thickness of around a 1/4".  As my skills improved, the last ornaments had a wall thickness of 1/16" or a bit more.  Most folks were impressed by how light weight they were.

My hollowing tool is a piece of HSS that I brazed to a 1/4" rod.  Picture is the business end.

The overall tool.

With the tool being so small I can slip inside a 5/16" hole to start hollowing.

A friend gave me some carbide chips used to re-tip saw blades.  Last week I made a new set of tools using the carbide chips, but I haven't tried them out yet.

Thank You Sponsors!