iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugar Maple counter top finish?

Started by Stephen1, January 31, 2018, 05:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

Hi Guys, I just finished building a new kitchen in my cabin and built a sugar maple counter top.
Now I need a finish for it. I was was wondering if I could use a bees wax, then if there is any damage I would sand and reapply. It would be water proof. Will it hold up?
Am I better to use a poly urethane?
Any ideas are welcome
Stephen
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

muggs

When I was building butcher blocks, I used a mixture of bees wax and mineral oil. Rub it in with #400 wet or dry sandpaper. Worked pretty well.  Muggs  8)

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Solomon

If you have not already applied anything to it, you might consider a clear epoxy resin.
Go to uscomposites.com and look at their "Kleer-Kote"  table top epoxy resin.
Their phone number is on the web site if you need to talk to one of their Techs.
All other brands are bought from them without labels and sold at higher prices with fancy brand names and pretty packages.
I am pretty sure that they are the only company in the western hemisphere that manufacture it.  They make all the West system epoxy's for boats and other applications.
If you follow the directions to the letter, you will get excellent results.  I used it on my Rock Maple counter tops, Bar, and dining table 6 years ago and they all still look like a million dollars today.
I also use it on a lot of projects for my customers and they are all tickled to death.
When I buy 16 gallons at a time, it costs me about 35 dollars a gallon.
You mix the resin and hardener 1 to 1.   Feel free to PM me with your number if you need more info, but the Techs should be better able than I, to give you all the info you will need to do a stellar job with fantastic results at a very reasonable price. :P :P :P :P :P
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!