iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

D4 Caterpillar identification

Started by Pete_Jul, April 23, 2019, 11:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete_Jul

Hi from Australia.
Ive just bought a 1956 d4 crawler.
I cant find the serial numbers anywhere.
Was told around engine bay or seat area.
Was told by seller that its a 56 d46u.
any help on location of vital numbers much appreciated.
tks peter

Riwaka

Some have serial numbers under the seat, rear left of the engine etc. Unless ground off
This has some D4 numbers
Caterillar D4-7U series bulldozer

Al_Smith

4G-7J-2T-5T-6U-7U < oldest to newest .It's either on the engine or rear end of the machine .I've got a 2T and a 5T and a 7J .It should be a metal plate

krusty

I have a recently acquired 7u, 56 I believe. Check out http://www.acmoc.org/bb/forumdisplay.php?4-DISCUSSION as there is invaluable info there.

My tag is on the left side of the engine, to the right of the injector pump. Was covered in dirl/oil when I got it.

Al_Smith

It's interesting on some of these old machines knowing the year of manufacture .For example my 2T-31 is 1943 .It has cast iron or steel in place of brass because of WW2 .It 's got a galvanized steel radiator core instead of copper like the later 5T model which is 1946 .One thing about old Caterpillars ,you can keep them running forever if you are willing to turn a wrench and track down parts .The old D4's aren't the most powerful in terms of a modern 5 ton unit but they will still do a days  work if you know how to operate them.Anybody can operate say a JD 450 with a tilt angle blade ,try it some time with a straight blade and slow hydraulics .That separates the men from the boys . 8)

Thank You Sponsors!