iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood market

Started by treechopper40, March 07, 2014, 08:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treechopper40

hi guys is the firewood market crazy every where else like it is here this year im always busy year around with my firewood sales but this year its just doubled for this time of year im not complaining at all im very lucky to have such a strong market for my low grade wood im looking forward to finishing the winter job im on now and move to my next piece a 102 acre tract flat as a table top and high and dry ground its loaded with low grade hardwood and some hardwood logs and some white pine and spruce logs too went and walked the job today cant wait to be on it
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

clww

I was going to comment, but I'm worn out trying to read your post.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

HiTech

People are calling everyday wanting more dried wood or ordering more for next winter. Some ran out. A real winter makes everyone want more wood. 

RKH Logging

Quote from: treechopper40 on March 07, 2014, 08:56:30 PM
hi guys is the firewood market crazy every where else like it is here this year im always busy year around with my firewood sales but this year its just doubled for this time of year im not complaining at all im very lucky to have such a strong market for my low grade wood im looking forward to finishing the winter job im on now and move to my next piece a 102 acre tract flat as a table top and high and dry ground its loaded with low grade hardwood and some hardwood logs and some white pine and spruce logs too went and walked the job today cant wait to be on it

here ill make up for it!................................................................................................. ;D

Yea i know in my neck of the woods, firewood is a huge demand. I use to read the paper and see adds selling it now I see adds urgently needing it.. whats the common face cord going for where you are? Here its 80-85/cord during the summer and right now you cant find seasoned wood for under 110/cord. unless your neighbors wood shed is on the property line.

Firewoodjoe

Yeah it's crazy here. I've been out of dry since Christmas and they call every day. Now they'll even take green. To bad I took my truck apart after I sold my dry:/  You can almost name the price here. Rkh is that 80-85 a face cord/rick? Or full cords?

RKH Logging

16" cut & split. piled 4' high x 8' long. Face cord.

Skidder Kev

Same near Toronto.  Everyone looking for dry wood even have people cutting dead standing elm on roadsides.  Firewood logs are hot right now  too. 

BargeMonkey

225 and up for a full cord, distance dependent. Ive got 150 cord left of nice hard maple and ash I cut last july-aug but its going quick.

timberjack 450

I get 240 for a full cord
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

HiTech

Besides the cold winter, I think chipping has put a dent in the firewood also. It used to be you could get firewood logs easily. Now they go through a chipper. People are calling all the time for firewood logs. The people they used to buy them from, chip them now. I don't see a lot of money in chipping but maybe there is. I hear those chippers use vast amounts of fuel and the upkeep is pricey. Not to mention tractor trailers to haul the chips. Everyone seems to be doing it so there must be some $$ in it. lol

BargeMonkey

People down this way still seem to think log length is such a "deal". The days of buying a tri-axle load for 500 are gone. I refuse to do it because its a hassle 99% of the time. Backing over the lawn, unloading over the garage, power lines. The best is when they either try and beat you down on the price after you've unloaded it, or call you in 3 months and say that it was short 1 face cord. Let someone else do it. The way this year has went im going to put up 1k cord for next year and re-power my processor.

Firewood dealer

I am getting $225 per cord C/S/D. $280 seasoned(been sold out of that since November) $325 for K.D. My problem is I am having A very hard time getting inventory. I am paying more than pulp prices but I think most guys have been forced into selling most of it to the mills. Between the mills, firewood,chipwood and pellets there is a lot of competition for that stick of hardwood.

SquareG

What's a "face cord", 2 ricks?

Market?  40$ rick picked up.   :'(

coxy

the guy next door is getting 175 for green and cant get enough of it  he comes on my landing some times to get the wood  helps clean up the blocks   he always says  free is better  ;D ;D

Ohio_Bill

Face cord is what you are calling a rick.          4 by 8  by 16 inch       which would be 1/3 of a cord .     
Quote from: SquareG on March 13, 2014, 06:54:18 AM
What's a "face cord", 2 ricks?

Market?  40$ rick picked up.   :'(
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

SquareG

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on March 13, 2014, 08:18:59 AM
Face cord is what you are calling a rick.          4 by 8  by 16 inch       which would be 1/3 of a cord .     

Thanks bill.  Here, a cord is 2 ricks, regardless of length for most everybody, figured yall were calling that a face cord, vs full cord 4' wide.  No wonder some on here are getting 250/cord, thats only 80 per rick, not soooooooo much higher.  Have heard of 135 per rick in other areas, but I didn't ask what they have to do for it, wheelbarrow or whatever.

Ohio_Bill

In Ohio according to the State It is illegal to sell firewood by any other unit of measurement than a cord or fraction of a cord or in bulk by the ton.

I don't think anyone pays any attention to the rule.

Some ads seen on CL

S10 load of firewood thrown in
S10 load stacked

Full pickup load
Full pickup load stacked

Dump truck load
Big dump truck load

Pickup truck load way more than a cord. Must be a big pickup. LOL

Big pile of wood.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

terry f

Face cord must be a regional thing, never heard it called that here,everything is fraction of cord. I guess it would the same as 1/3 cord, so it's the same if everyone is on the same page.

peterjd89

I sold 115 face cord for $75 and I sold out in January wish I had another 100
Oscar 330/dolmar 6400/landini 8865/homemade wood splitter/ten foot dump trailer/homemade winch and log trailer

Firewood dealer

In Maine, Firewood sales are based on a "lose thrown cord" which is 180 cubic feet for 16" and 195 cf for 24".

cutterboy

In Massachusetts it is illegal to sell firewood by the cord, but everybody does. The state requires wood to be sold by the cubic foot. A cord of wood is 128 cubic feet. (4x4x8)
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Firewood dealer

128 c.f. round. Once it is cut and split and restacked, you may get around 115 c.f.

terry f

My understanding is that after you split the rounds you gain up to 10% when its restacked. I've never tried it, but I guess you have more air space no matter how tight you stack.

Corley5

I've never had it stack to more after splitting  :-\  The same cord of wood stacked by different individuals would measure different each time  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

cutterboy

Quote from: terry f on March 14, 2014, 04:06:27 AM
   My understanding is that after you split the rounds you gain up to 10% when its restacked. I've never tried it, but I guess you have more air space no matter how tight you stack.

Terry, actually it's just the opposite. After splitting you lose some because the smaller pieces will stack tighter with less air space between them.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!