iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moisture Content

Started by Randy, January 19, 2006, 03:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy

At what MC would it be safe to un-sticker air dried pine 1X and 2X and stack it flat onto each other---under a shed to stay till I get ready to use it in a year or two?? Thanks Randy

Den Socling

In SC in the summer, I would guess that the EMC outside would be high enough to add a little mold if you're dead packed.

Randy

Let me add this---------this lumber was cut close to a year ago and has been air stacked with a tin top. I wanted to restack under a shed and put all the boards into piles according to width and thickness, so when I needed certain size boards it would not be a problem to get to. I was hoping that I would not have to re-sticker it when I did this. So when is it safe to dead stack?? Thanks Randy

Ianab

After a year drying it should be below 15% MC so it would be safe to flat stack as long as it didn't get wet again.

Mould / stain fungus shouldn't grow if the moisture is below 20%.
Just make sure it stays dry.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Den Socling

True in that you should not have a problem if all the wood is 20% or less. But way up here in Pennsylvania, the emc was 15% or more this hot, humid summer past. Know anybody with a moisture meter? Or for all you want to know - more or less than 20% a really cheap meter will do. If you get a meter, check a lot, not just one or two.

Randy

Quote from: Den Socling on January 19, 2006, 07:44:44 PM
True in that you should not have a problem if all the wood is 20% or less. But way up here in Pennsylvania, the emc was 15% or more this hot, humid summer past. Know anybody with a moisture meter? Or for all you want to know - more or less than 20% a really cheap meter will do. If you get a meter, check a lot, not just one or two.

Thanks, I have a moisture meter, but didn't have the knowledge to know what MC was safe to flat stack. I will check alot of boards as I do this. Thanks again!! Randy

Thank You Sponsors!