iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tall Stumps

Started by terry f, August 23, 2012, 02:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terry f

When I start falling trees next month, I'm going to cut at about four and a half feet. My backs shot, and I can't bend over anymore, so its cut on my knees or tall stumps. This is some good sized white fir and lodgepole to 12 inch, just thinning and cleaning up. Would there be any benefit what so ever, to leaveing tall stumps? Ants and woodpeckers are all I can think of.

BaldBob

Well it would probably cut down on the snowmobilers trespassing on your property until the snow got deeper than the stump height.  ;D

thecfarm

I would think it would make it hard getting around those high stumps,no matter how your ground is. But I can see why.How are you getting the wood out? Log length or?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

All dead wood is a benefit to the insect world, which in turn is food for other critters.  The bugs won't care if the wood is on the stump or laying free on the ground.  The issue is the functionality for human access and use of the forest.  However, no worse access or functionality if you left the trees uncut and standing.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

cowtipper

I would go for tall stumbs, its kind of hard to get out of the way if I'm on knees, just saying

Ron Scott

A lot of wasted wood and not very aesthetically pleasing to the forest landscape for many years.
~Ron

Magicman

Anytime that I "tall stump" a tree, I then whack the stump off and recover 1-2 sticks of firewood.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dodgy Loner

Only time I cut a tall stump is when I am cutting firewood. I leave a stump one stick high and then flush the stump to get the extra piece of firewood. But I don't have back problems yet. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do, but I don't think there's much benefit to leaving tall stumps.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Okrafarmer

Sometimes I do it when precision felling a tree. It is much easier to work on at belt height, ish. I like to keep my head up while felling, and that is an easy way. However, if trying to cut saw logs, you waste some of the best wood. If you're cutting trees that are 200 feet tall, though, I wouldn't try to stop you from cutting them 4' up, that's probably not even past the flare.

One big advantage to tall stumps is if you are planning to bulldoze them out soon, the dozer knocks out tall stumps easier than shorties. More mechanical advantage, don't you know. My dad used to leave all his stumps about 2' or so tall to push them over with the dozer.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

terry f

Thanks, these are smaller trees that are firewood at best. I burn the tops and limbs and usualy give the wood away, it's just getting harder to play at ground level anymore. I cut them green, and they have to be the limbiest lodgepole in the country. They're 12 inches on the large side (mostly 8 ), and 30 to 40 feet tall on the tall side, so not as dangerous as what you guys do, but I do most of this by myself, as a getaway more than anything else, still no place I'd rather be. Ron your "aesthetically pleasing"  is probably the biggest drawback, worse case is there are three sticks of firewood that should be good for two or three years in each stump. I was just trying to think of any benefit to leaveing them.

terry f

I dont know where that forestry forum boogie came from, I don't even know how to add a smiley.

Ianab

If you type a 8 and a ), you get a 8).

Now you know how to do smileys  ;D

Anyway, not busting your back is a fair enough reason to leave the stumps high if they are only being thinned to waste or collected for firewood. I anyone asks, just say "bad back, you want them shorter, feel free to go and tidy them up"

BTW, I would suggest you will end up 2-3ft high. Stand with your back straight and arms down and hold the saw. The bar is really just above your knees. Slice em off at that height, and save your back and knees.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

If you  have back problems that would be one reason to leave 4 feet of stump or if you're going to root hog the stump with a dozer .

For me I'm still limber as a cat even though I'm 64 years old .In the case of a lot of root flair I might go up to two-three feet on the fall then stump them out as low as possible once the tree is on the ground .It's kind of a pain in the butt trying to make a fall going through 5-6 feet of root flair on a three foot diameter  tree .

Al_Smith

Although it's not the subject there is a method of low cutting trees with big buttress roots .They basically bore cut the tree using just a tiny directional  falling cut .All the buttress is removed except those on the opposite side of the lean which are cut last and over it goes .

This way they recover the figure present in the bottom of the log .I've never done it myself but have seen evidence of it .

tyb525

Al, I have seen loggers cut out the flairs using vertical cuts, and then horizontal cuts to get the diameter at the base closer to the DBH. It does help when cutting the notch and backcut to not have to go through 6" or so of extra wood.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Al_Smith

Well too if you don't trim the buttress down that danged tree could go anywhere and maybe not exactly where you want it to. Might even take a notion to chase you around a little bit before it decides where to land .

I'll put a link to Mikes site showing what I meant about that method .   http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/12c58cc459261f5b88256b6100186961?OpenDocument .

You can see behind the saw what's left of a couple of the buttress roots of a big old white oak somebody took down .Wasn't me .

tyb525

That saw hurts my eyes :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

tyb525

Terry you could have a chainsaw carver go through and carve little hobbits or gnomes out of those stumps. Imagine walking through the woods at night not knowing they were there ;D

Ianab

I know what you need  ;D

Jeff's old Russian chainsaw with the bike handlebars.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,12252.0.html

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

Quote from: tyb525 on August 25, 2012, 02:19:33 PM
That saw hurts my eyes :D
Eyes ,pshaw you ought to try swinging that axe all day ,it'll get the old back  for sure .That's 40 pounds of McCulloch old school geardrive .Geeze and some people whine about 15 pounds being heavy  :D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Ianab on August 25, 2012, 02:32:20 PM
I know what you need  ;D

Jeff's old Russian chainsaw with the bike handlebars.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,12252.0.html

Ian

Ian, I was thinking along those lines, and I hadn't even seen that before. My fertile imagination was already designing a chainsaw that would allow an operator to cut at ground level while standing up straight.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

drobertson

Depending on how many you cut and the spacing, you might incorparate some feeders or bird houses or something along this line on some of them.   I have bad knees, bad back, and sometimes bad gas.  For the saw, that is, I hired a fellow to cut mine, the tough ones anyway, it really pays to have a professional sawyer, this guy is good, lots of tricks he has showed me.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Al_Smith

Bad gas ye say .Hmm you need a diet of pickled eggs ,sauerkraut  and Blatz beer .Maybe a hot pepper or two to spice things up .Well if nothing else you'd clear out the room . ;)

1270d

You need one of these.   Adapt it on to a 660 with a big bar and you re golden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DyueVyfjhgG0&v=yueVyfjhgG0&gl=US

1270d

Could someone assist with the link?  It wont embed for some reason.  Maybe because im on mobile

Thank You Sponsors!