iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing sequence 90 or 180?

Started by Kwill, February 12, 2019, 10:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

My question is after you make your first cut do you flip the log 90 or 180?. Ive seen both in videos. On my homemade mill so far while sawing cedar i always flipped them 90. Mostly ive been making  8x8 5x5 4x4 and some 2x4 and 2x6 2x8. On the reccomendation from magicman when i start back milling im going to center the log on the mill. Ive added a jack to be able to do this. I guess certain logs or lumber needed from the log would make the sequence of cutting different. Just wondering what others do?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

I normally flip 180 to get to the width of boards I want so I have 2 sides that are free of bark and no longer need edging once I get below the bark. I will occasionally still flip 90 degrees and saw so I only have to edge on one side or if there is a knot or limb stub or such that needs to be trimmed for the cant to lay flat. In fact that is what I did on the last ash log I sawed 2 days ago. This also helps if the log/cant is pushing the limits of what I can saw.

Usually I start with any serious heart check in a vertical position so that after I trim the first cut then flip 180 when I flip the cant the next time I will end up sawing parallel to the check and less damage to the boards.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kwill

Yeah my thought was if im sawing boards id flip 90 so i didnt have to edge 2 sides.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

Kwill,

I flip 180 so I don't have to edge at all on most of my boards. I only have to edge 1-2 flitches off each cut. I normally saw my final cant down to about 3.5"- 4" then stand the flitches up against the cant for extra rigidity, edge them then I resume sawing the cant down to the bed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Larry

I let the log tell me.  I thought for a long time 180 was the only way to go but finally realized it depends on what the log looks like.

I would guess now I rotate 90 a little over half of the time.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I try to never say never nor always.  My answer is it depends upon the log and the cut list.  Smaller logs tend to be 180° whereas the larger ones tend to be 90°, but even that is not always. 

I guess that I said all of that and didn't say anything.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Most of the time I rotate 90, in my opinion it's more efficient because by the time I've rotated 270° I'm ready to make boards on smaller logs. On logs over 32" when I've rotated 180 with the wide head I can cut a flitch down to 18 1/4" drop to 12 1/8" drop to 6" then flip all 3 cants up and burry 2 tail gunners in 2x6's 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Kwill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 12, 2019, 10:26:29 PM
Kwill,

I flip 180 so I don't have to edge at all on most of my boards. I only have to edge 1-2 flitches off each cut. I normally saw my final cant down to about 3.5"- 4" then stand the flitches up against the cant for extra rigidity, edge them then I resume sawing the cant down to the bed.
Ok so you make your first cut then flip 180  with the cut square side down then make a cut then flip 90 and start cutting boards?
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

WV Sawmiller

Yes but I usually get a flitch or two on that 3rd and even the final face. The go on the loader arms till I get low on the cant then I edge them and finish off the cant. This is normal but as others mention above I will vary this in some cases as the log dictates.
Howard Green

Southside

I find that on larger logs if I flip 180 I get square cants much more frequently - say 20" + or ones with sweep and other issues. Smaller than 20" and nice and straight 90 is faster and stays square, plus it gives you two views of what the inside looks like at the same time.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

OffGrid973

Sometimes it depends how much saw dust is in the eyes, nose and ears...but for slabs I stick to 180, for final boards do 90, 90, 90 until I realize there was some bark on a bunk at some point causing not to be square and start all over again, LOL.
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Sixacresand

I usually flip 180.   After I make the 90, I check  the outside face and bunk with a square.  If needed, I can make adjustments by using the two way clamp
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Kwill

I mill cedars so some logs have quite a but of taper. So when i started milling i would do the 90 90 90 and ge the log as square as i could then start cutting it into what i needed. Is worked ok but i felt i could get a few more boards but with the taper they would be short ones. I done a few upgrades to the mill while being stuck in the shop with all the rain. Im hoping to saw the next couple days. I need to make several 12ft 2x6  and another 8x8. Thanks for the ideas
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Woodpecker52

I usually cut 1st face turn 180 cut for my desired  width, turn 90 cut then turn 180 for cant.  what few boards under bark I edge at the end.   I am only cutting 4/4 boards right now. Is this wrong or can I do it a better way?
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Percy

Quote from: Southside logger on February 12, 2019, 10:56:35 PM
I find that on larger logs if I flip 180 I get square cants much more frequently - say 20" + or ones with sweep and other issues. Smaller than 20" and nice and straight 90 is faster and stays square, plus it gives you two views of what the inside looks like at the same time.  
With that super 70 revved up, you could turn 720 faster than most of us turning 90...... I have the envy bad .   ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Southside

Quote from: Percy on February 12, 2019, 11:46:51 PM
Quote from: Southside logger on February 12, 2019, 10:56:35 PM
With that super 70 revved up, you could turn 720 faster than most of us turning 90...... I have the envy bad .   ;D
Yea - but when you throw a log over the back stops and it lands 15' past the mill you loose all that time you saved to begin with when you have to fish said log back out of the wall.   :o
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

Most times I make a couple of cuts, then flip 180° and saw down until I get the width of boards I want!

On really big logs I usually flip 90°, taking a few cuts off of each side as it's rotated on the mill!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

When I'm lazy it's 180.If the logs are dirty,it's 90 so I am cutting into fresh wood.As others have mentioned it makes edging easier as well.Actually 90 is really 270 as I turn the log into the backstops then check to see the my opening face is square to the bed.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

WDH

Turning 180 relieves more stress in a log. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Crusarius

I saw for myself and maximum yield. I will place log how I want it on the bed then take a thin slab off the top trying to get it straight / flat. after I am happy with a flat face I will roll it 90 degrees and do it again till I have a nice flat face maybe leave a little wane depending. Then flip it another 90 and take the slab then make all my boards. this makes a 3 sided cant.

This leaves me with 1 live edge on everything. So I can either use them with the live edge or trim it off and get maximum board width for the length I need.

This does minimize my firewood for the year though. Since I burn wood for heat it means I need to cut more :)

alot of times any board with wane gets cut into stickers. I have found you can never have to many stickers.

Ron Wenrich

I sawed on a circle mill and I sawed hardwood grade logs for the most part.  I turned 90° almost always.  I had target sizes for the hearts, and I would take that into consideration when setting on my third and fourth face.  

The sawing sequence was to saw on the best face first.  When grade dropped one grade, then it was time to turn.  You learn how to read a log so to maximize dollar yield.  My target for the second face was a 6" board.  We had no market for the select grade.  Again, turn 90° when the grade starts to drop.

Depending on size of the remaining log would dictate my next starting point.  On a big log that would need to be turned, I would allow some room for a shim cut.  If I had to turn back to another face, the shim cut would get rid of any stress that had developed.  Any time I turned back to another face, I would take a shim cut.  Customers don't like thick and thin lumber.  On a smaller log, I would enter the log so that I ended up at my target size without a shim cut.

Face 4 would be the same procedure as face 3.  If after hitting my target size and there was still recoverable grade, I would go after it.  Most times, I dumped my product after hitting the target size.  Chasing grade is often a losing game.  Especially as you get closer to the pith.

I had the support equipment to allow me to saw in this manner.  I also didn't saw dimension stock.  Rare was the time I was sawing pine or hemlock.  When I did saw pine, I had a lot of different dimensions to cut.  It mainly went into cabin stock.  

I've watched guys saw hardwoods using the 180° method, but it was mainly in tie or lower quality logs.  Like Larry said, it depends on the log.  It also depends on your sawing list. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

JB Griffin

Spot on again Ron. 90,90,90 dump and on to the next one. Theres no money in the heart (pith) better to box it into a 4x4 than to saw it into lumber that ain't worth nuthin, at least you would always have something to stack your good lumber on and never want for a fence post.
Quote from: WDH on February 13, 2019, 07:54:27 AM
Turning 180 relieves more stress in a log.  
That ain't always a good thing, can be very bad at times.

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Brad_bb

When I first started milling I was flipping 90, but after a log of encouragement and being stubborn I finally listened to Magicman and started flipping 180.  Now I flip 180 95+ percent of the time.  By cutting the two parallel faces first, you can look at the two remaining bark faces and determine if one is straighter than the other so you can put that face down, then raise the small end however much you need to.  In other words, the wonky end is up and you're not fighting it on the bed and struggling with how much to raise it's small end. 180 just seems to work out better.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on February 12, 2019, 10:32:29 PM
I try to never say never nor always.  My answer is it depends upon the log and the cut list.  Smaller logs tend to be 180° whereas the larger ones tend to be 90°, but even that is not always.  

I guess that I said all of that and didn't say anything.  ::)
Guess that I will quote myself.  My sequence depends upon the log and the cut list, but in reality most of mine are all 90°.   Pecker poles are mostly 180° which yield 4X4's.  I am dealing with many of them on my present job sawing over 100, 4X6's. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

richhiway

small logs 180 large logs 90. most of the time.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Thank You Sponsors!