iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

We got SNOW

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, December 06, 2002, 07:49:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

About 6 inches in my area yesterday. I took out the Skid Steer with the bucket on. I don't have a plow blade. It worked great. We don't get enough snow here in maryland for me to justify buying a plow blade rig for it. Even with just the bucket it can really clear some snow.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bibbyman

This picture was taken last year but this is about what we got the other day - about 2" of slick snow. It's still hanging around where the sun don't shine.

ARKANSAWYER e-mailed me this morning and said his power was out for two days.  Got ice, then sleet, then snow.  
I just figured the only outside phone line to Arkansas was out. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

We didn't get none, don't expect none, and DON'T want none. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

I've d#*! near a foot of the crap at my place!!  Haven't blown anything out yet though.  I like to drive over it so it packs and freezes solid.  That way the blower doesn't dig in to the ground.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Don P

I got mostly snow about 6" then ice at the end that took out the power for a day, but not much noise from the woods.  Michelle is down the mountain in NC got mostly ice at her Mom's and lost power for about the same, said trees really got taken apart down there.

Noble_Ma

We got about 4 or 5 inches last night.  It was some of the lightest fluffiest snow I've seen in a long time.  Some guy on the local news last night was using his leaf blower to do his driveway :D  Funny thing was, it worked just fine.

ADfields

Noble_Ma
It must be real cold ther then.   That is what Alaska's dead of winter snow is like.   It rifts over the roads and is hard to move with a snowblower as it just flots right back!   Spring and fall we get wet snow, when it's not as cold out like 25 to 32 above.  

It's 43 right now hear and all the trees are buding out and my green grass will need cuting soon if this keeps up around hear, it's like its spring!
Andy

ElectricAl

Weekend_Sawyer,

We're ready for snow, but nothing yet.

Funny thing is we are 250 mile straight north of BibbyMan, and 600 miles north of the Arkansawyer, and they have snow.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

dewwood

ElectricAl,
Will that skid loader pick up that V blade?  And can you move it if you get it picked up?  Looks like a lot of blade for a skid loader even if it is a JD.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

ElectricAl

Dewey,

Our JD skid loader will pick and carrie the V plow. We have never tried to push snow with it though. The plow has two sets of fork pockets. One set is for the JD and fork lift, just to move it. The second is a wide set for our wheel loader.

The V plow is a blast to zoom down the road. It's like the parting of the red sea.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Tom

I never quite understood how those things work.  I know that they push snow or rather lift it and direct it to the side, but it takes speed and they are usually running on hard-top, right?

Looks to me like you could be comfortably running along at 30 mph throwing snow to the side of the road when you encounter a dip or hole, or raised driveway entrance or intersection and the snow plow could dig into the pavement, tearing up the blade, the pavement and sending the operator through the windshield.  :D

That's just the image that this old Florida boy conjures up.   How close am I?  :) :-/

DanG

The guys over on the tractor forums call those things "mailbox harvesters." :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Dang, can you imagine running out of gas, going to town to get more and returning to find 20 miles of snow piled 10 feet deep where you thought you had left your car?

Whadaya do, wait till spring? :D

Don P

Tom, I can't speak for V-plows, I've never operated one. I bought our Dodge in SD when my old truck died. It was one of our homeowner's and was set up to plow. Their land was a few miles back from state maintenance and the first coupla times we saw it was on skis. He bought the truck just to get us in and get started. His college age son came out to plow never having seen the road before. Some time later he came walking over to the job we were on, seems there was a little curve in the road he wasn't aware of, explains the dent in the drivers door, it was buried to the windows, luckily no worse.
In the early spring I had left the plow on just in case and was tooling down the hardtop at about 50 when I hit a big missing section of pavement and was launched airborn for a moment, the whole way back down I was envisioning groundlooping the truck...the springs on the blade just tripped though :D.

Bro. Noble

Reminds me of the time years ago when a neighbor 'helped' me plow our road.  I kinda like to be snowbound and not have any traffic.  This was before we milked so I had no reason to plow the road but my neighbor just insisted that he had to get out.  I had an old horsedrawn grader and pulled it with a 10-20 McCormic on steel.  I usually just set the blade and took off but Ken wanted to ride the grader and work the controls.  We were doing great until I hung on a rock and launched him into a drift.  We got the road plowed, put chains on his pickup and headed to town.  I filled my wife's grocery list, Ken bought a fifth of whisky and a carton of cigaretts.  His wife was a little irritated when she found out we went to town and he hadn't asked her if she needed anything.  They no longer live down the road----or together.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Wenrich

We're in the 6-9" range for accumulation.  That's not deep enough for me to plow.  I just run the lane down in my truck and that does fine.

Back in '96 we had a 32" snow.  That took 2 1/2 days to open the lane with a front end loader.  After it was opened, we had another 12".  It was getting to the point that there wasn't anymore places to pile snow.

Every time they talk about snow, people have to run to the grocery store and get their white stuff - bread, milk, eggs, and toilet paper.   :)  I've never been able to figure out why they need them so bad during a minor snowstorm.  Those folks are mainly the city type that move to the rural areas.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ElectricAl

Tom,

Our V plow is simular to most I have seen.

There is a steel runner or ski in the front center. The runner extends about 12" forward of the blade. Then towards the the rear, near the mount are two big pads that carry 80% of the weight.  Each side of the V has a cutting edge. Our plow was a rural county plow that worked gravel roads, so the actual cutting edge is 2" above grade. Only the runners touched the road.

As far as mail boxes, there as good as gone,
if you want too.;)    DanG that's funny

Around here well casing filled with concrete will get you a letter from the postmaster delivered by the sheriff.  :o

The V plow is made to punch a hole in big drifts or deep snow. It's the quickest way to open a road. Later a straight blade unit will finish rolling the snow back.

Here is a shot of the fork pockets. The big pockets for the wheel loader might be hard to see, they are 5' apart and close to the ground.

The square tubes you can easily see are for the skid loader or the all terrain forklift.

A couple years ago one of our local maintainers clipped a small white car sitting in a drift. The car was at the bottom of a hill on the side of the road. The maintainer was running a CAT 6 wheel drive road grader in high gear as fast as it would go so he could make the next hill. The V plow pushed the car off the road, and the wing took the roof off the car.

ElectricAl

Tom

:DHoly Cow!  :D
When it snows down here the cars just float off down the river. :D :D

ARKANSAWYER

It is not the snow that is the problem it is the 1/2 inch of ice under it that makes it crazy.  Trees and power lines are snapping and it is good for business.
  They got the one line to Arkansas fixed and all is well with the world again.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Arky, your neighbors must be really bad shots.   I don't see any bullet holes!  :D

|

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DanG

Back in '93, in the last century, we had what was called "The Storm of the Century."  It was a real blow, as others here can attest. Anyway, I was in S. Carolina that weekend, and had to lay over an extra day. As I was coming down through Georgia, the next day, I got stranded at a convenience store for 3 hours, while the county folks BUILT a snowplow, then I followed it at 5mph, for about 40 miles. There is something to be said for living where you get enough snow to be prepared for it. It can really bring things to a screeching halt when you ain't used to it.

ADfields

Park your car in the E-lane in Alaska in a snow storm and when you come back for it all the glass will be gone and the inside packed FULL of snow! :o   The plows hear run 35 to 55 MPH with a frount blade and a belley blade, the wave of snow from the 1st blade brakes all the glass and the 2nd fills it with DIRTY salty snow!

Tom
On truck type plows ther are big springs holding the blade upright so when it hits a manhole or something it just tips the top forward till the blade pops over it.  

It's quite a sight to see a plow running the other way down the road at night at 55mph with both blades down grinding red hot on the pavement casting a line of snow and sparks to the sholder! :o   Then after it go's by your car gets hit with a spray of roadsalt, just for kicks. :)  OOOOooooow Dats gona rust! :'(
Andy

L. Wakefield

Yeah, the sparks are awesome! The scary thing, tho, is when it's night and the visibility is poor, because those blades are HUGE, you can't see the edges,and the plow doesn't get over. It's working, where it's working, and YOU have to get out of the way. Juggernaut. :o :o  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

DonT

I have only seen the big v-plows on a couple of times in the area I live.The norm is your standard tandem with an eight foot and wing.Arkansaweyers pictures bring back some bad memories of the ice storm we experienced in this area in 1998.In the county i live in over 1200 hydro poles where snapped,power was out for thirteen days at my house.The storm was the fun part,trying to stay warm with no power was the challenge.I have since added my wood stove and keep plenty of gas on hand for the generator.Snow plowing is fun,big toys for boys.   DonT

ARKANSAWYER

We have alot of folks from up North retire here and we get a bit of snow like this and they laugh at us and tell us they know how to drive on snow.  Years ago as a teenager we got a good one and I was out putting chains on my truck and cleaning off the snow.  The Guy from next door opened his garage door and started his car.  I walked over and asked where he was going.  He said to the Post Office to check their mail.  I told him the roads were slick and he quickly informed me that he knew how to dirve in snow as he was from up North and this 2 inch snow was nothing.  He backed out of the garage and down the drive across the street and thourgh the neighbors yard and into the shed by the garden spot.    It was impressive at the ability of them Northern drivers on our southern snow.  I walked over and asked if he was ok, and he was cussing mad.  He had never seen an inch of ice under 2 inches of snow before.  "Happens all the time here" I told him "And in a day or two it will be gone and I will tow you out of Mr. Johnsons shed with my 4x4."  ;D  
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!