iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

metal cutting blades

Started by xlogger, October 03, 2012, 08:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Has anyone here use the blades that suppose to cut threw small metal in logs? I had a chance to get some pine logs today off a log yard that their metal detector pickup some "small" metal in the log. I heard that they cost much more and don't last any longer. I'll probably stay away from the logs but was interested in seeing if anyone uses them. Ricky
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

beenthere

Metal cutting blades don't seem to cut wood well.

For a test, use a hack saw with metal blade and see how it goes. Get some powdery sawdust and goes pretty slow.

Unless you have a metal sawtooth design different than what I'm thinking.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kcwoodbutcher

Bimetal or Cobalt blades will last a little longer but at three times the price of standard carbon blades it's a wash. I'm mostly an urban sawyer, you just learn to live with the nails. The glass insulator I hit yesterday is a different story.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Magicman

If it was simple it would not be a problem.  Sometimes you can "jump butt" a log and get rid of the lower 3'-4' and saw the remaining short log, but if it is an antenna guy wire hanger, etc. then... :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Compensation

My WM blade cut a .45acp bullet in half and still was smooth. But one piece of copper covered lead isnt as bad as a piece of farm fence. At least i know what piece of wood my new coffee table is going to use :)
D4D caterpillar, lt10 Woodmizer, 8x12 solar kiln, enough Stihl's to make my garages smell like their factory :) Ohh and built Ford tough baby!

bandmiller2

Common nails 16d and under usally won't lunch out a band especially if cut at a right angle.Drywall screws and the mentioned insulators can and will damage a band.If it wasen't for yard trees most of us small sawyers wouldn't have anything to cut.Find as much tramp as you can and take your chances.Sometimes I'll just cut a butt log for firewood if its stroon with hardware. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sawmill Man

Yes I tried them and found out I can ruin an expensive blade just as fast as the regular ones . They ran a little longer in dirty logs but hit one 16 penny nail and they were gone. They were bought just for logs that had metal. They were advertised as being designed to saw reclaimed beams that had metal, guess they were for people that didn't want to saw all the way through one.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Okrafarmer

A normal saw blade, at least the good ones, will get you through a 16 penny nail or two. I finished milling out an entire walnut log (it was a shorty) after hitting three nails, all with the same blade. It's those horseshoes, log chains, railroad spikes, T-posts, fence insulators, and antique tricycles that get you.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

loggah

Up north here you can throw in old sap spiles in maple trees,the early ones are cast iron! Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

hackberry jake

Are the logs free? I never turn down free logs. Oh, throw pad lock in the list. They will stop a saw in its tracks. I would order a few cheaper bands and lay into em.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

dblair

stay away from the first 6 feet from all trees that come from yards . that's just my experience with yard trees . I won't take another one from someones yard .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: dblair on October 04, 2012, 07:21:35 PM
stay away from the first 6 feet from all trees that come from yards . that's just my experience with yard trees . I won't take another one from someones yard .

Oh, I will. That's where 90% of my logs come from.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

xlogger

This logs where not free but real cheap. $10 per ton already debarked. The hand held metal detector could not pickup any metal but the one they use at the log mill did find something. The guy says that most of the time its small or even a bullet, never know for sure. They where 16 ft long and I needed some that long, the rest I had here where shorter.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Thank You Sponsors!