iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going fishing for redfish in LA

Started by semologger, February 19, 2011, 10:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

I am going 3rd thru the 7th of march here in a couple of weeks. Got the invite on short notice but heck sounds great to me. We are going to be down in leevive La. Never have got to do any fishing in the big water just in the little rivers we have here. So my delima i am haveing is what size tackle i need to take. All  i have is cheapy walmart bass rods. But i have a 8 to 17 pound 6 and half foot rod as my good bass rod i am not to much on breaking it. Any of you guys done any redfish fishing? How much fight do the put up.

ErikC

Redfish are good fighters. I went in Florida quite a few years ago, and took my steelhead gear.  It isn't stronger than bass tackle, just longer rods, with a more sensitive tip section for light bites. They were perfect. You might use a bass reel and buy a different rod. But you probably won't break anything.  Unless you get ahold of a big old snook ;D
I bet some of our FF boys down that way know a lot more than me about it :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

DanG

You'll be ok with your bass tackle on redfish.  Just be sure your rod is stronger than your line.  One thing about fishing saltwater is you never know what you might hook, and it might be BIG.  Usually a real big fish will just break your line, but you might land him if you play him well.  Good luck! :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

The same tackle you use on largemouth bass will work on red fish as long as you don't have to deal with much current.   Most fishermen are using 12-15 pound lines, some are using 20 pound.   If you aren't flipping artificial lures, the terminal tackle can be a bit heavy.  An example would be a sliding cork rig.  There would be a 6", or longer, cork, beads, a swivel, lead weight that could run from 1/4 to 3/4 of an ounce and a large hook with a shrimp.

Crab, fished on the bottom in heavy channel currents might need as much as four ounces of lead on a fish-finder rig.

Most of the artificials used in the backwaters are 1/8 to1/4 ounce jigs.  The older ones being hair or nylon and the newer ones using the gel jig tips.  It is seldom that top water lures are used for reds.  Sometimes they work for awhile, early in the morning.  Most are caught on jigs as they are retrieved, bumping on the bottom.  If in the backwater, expect to hang up on oyster shell beds.  It's common to lose a lot of terminal tackle.

semologger

Thanks guys for the info. I picked up a couple new items for the trip. The wife was standing there and said you might as well get something good. So the guys and mine eyes at the tackle shop lighted up. I ended up getting a zebco omega Zo3 push button real. Cant use anything else messed up hand is y.  A 7 foot medium heavy Abu Garcia rod 12 to 20 pound line if it breaks it has warrenty. But i am going to take my other rod for a back up. Now i am set i hope for a bit. I am so ready to get out and  fish. i recently have gotton full custody of my 13 year old daughter. So now i have a fishing partner. I havent had.   semo

WDH

Good luck on the reds.  I love to fish for them in the surf at Hatteras, NC.  That type of fishing takes much heavier tackle.  Take some pics!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!