iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Logs

Started by Ga_Boy, October 03, 2004, 05:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Boy

I am getting ready to stand up my small operation; 3 Mbf/month.  I plan on sawing my own logs then kilning them for resale.

I have hooked up with most of the local tree services for my supply.  Just in case the tree services can not provide me with a selection I feel I should link up with the local loggers.

I do not know how to grade logs or where to find the market prices.

Any suggestions?

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

beenthere

Ga_Boy
As you start sawing logs, you will establish your own log grades in your mind, and have a better feel for what the surface of a log is telling you about the quality that is awaiting you inside, when you open it up.
There are some Standard Forest Service Log Grades established in the 30's and from which lumber yields by NHLA grades have been published. Not many buyers go by these grades, but anyone wanting to get an idea or predict yield and value from a group of logs can do so by using these log grades.
Many mills, I think, establish their own log grading systems, depending on the ease of application. Often, it means visually determining how many clear faces (four on a log) a log has. The highest grade would be 4 clear faces, and the lowest being 0 clear faces. Then, the straightness of the log, the size of the log, and the soundness of the log (looking at the ends) will enter into the equation.

I'd suggest you contact some loggers and find out first if they are willing to sell logs to you, and then learn some about the quality of log they would sell. Be prepared to make your own guess as to what the log will yield in quality lumber, or buy a few and see how they compare to what you might be getting free. Beyond that, can't tell you much more. It will have more to do with your own comfort zone and expectations, than it will have to do with "market prices".  IMO.  Good luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ga_Boy

Beenthere,

Thanks for the info.  I have found one fella down in Virgina that well sell me logs, but I am not sure if the price is too high.  When I first spoke with him he mentioned that he uses some sort of market report to base his prices on.  I do not know anything about this report or where to find it.  I am just trying to avoid making $500 mistakes; those are hard to recover from.

I have checked into the NHLA grading classes.  There are some coming up in the next few months.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

beenthere

Ga_Boy
Here is a source of information that may include enough about lumber grades as well as log grades to help you get a start.

http://www.ces.purdue.edu/extmedia/FNR/FNR-84.html

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kirk_Allen

The hardwood market report is probably what they are talking about.  
http://www.hmr.com/

This is a link for Illinois but it may be of some good assistance.

http://ilvirtualforest.nres.uiuc.edu/

Kirk

Ohio_Bill

Kirk , That is a great site

thanks

Bill
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Thank You Sponsors!