iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Head wobble through the cut, lt 40's

Started by drobertson, August 06, 2012, 04:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Just wondering, I have not seen any post on head wobble, is this only my problem?
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

DROBERTSON, type in HEAD WOBBLE in the search box. There's a lot of discussion about it.

I just now saw your post AFTER I answered your PM.

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

Hey man, I was pretty sure that was off just a bit, but I wanted to get a reply. I kinda figured, hoped you would respond. Thanks brother, I will check out the search for sure, have you had any of the wobble by chance, not bad, just enough to cause a bit of wave?  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ga Mtn Man

EDIT:  comment deleted by me for the sake of FF harmony. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

barbender

I don't get it ??? The only head wobble I've ever noticed is when I am gigging back and I have the mill set up leaning toward the operator side. It didn't affect my cuts.
Too many irons in the fire

drobertson

boys I have to laugh! that is too funny, but really the cut is o.k.  just hate it when it starts rocking the last two feet or so in a 10 footer. It is speed  and feed I know, but it always happens after the clamp just around the toe roller, then calms down.  It is like the main frame is skewed a bit, but a string check don't show it.  A head stratcher, for sure, Has no one noticed this on their mill?

MartyParsons

Hello,

O boy here we go!  What exactly are you talking about?
If you have a head wobble lets talk about it. 

Marty

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

drobertson

I have the Lt 40 super 51 hp. as you might know when the auto clutch engages, the upright frame rocks just a bit. then settles, I enter the log, no worries, then just past the clamp, always just past the clamp around the end toe roller, the head start to wobble, like when motor engages or shuts down, putting pressure, I'm sure on the blade, then it settles back smooth. It is a random occurance, and the cut remains straight and smooth, just to rocky for my liking, I thought maybe someone may have experienced this as well, and am looking for something I might need to adjust. The cuts are good and straight without wave, and accurate. Just wondering why it would do this.  Thanks.

tyb525

My LT10 does this sometimes when the tensions cables are loose and the blade is getting dull, the band will "grab" the wood and then release, causing a horizontal bouncing/wobbling motion. But my mill is not a cantilever design so that may not apply.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

BBTom

Sounds to me like a bottom bearing is adjusted up a bit too tight and is rubbing on the frame at that point. 

Crawl under your mill and look up at the bottom of the main frame to see if the paint is rubbed off at the spot where you see the wobble.

That should not cause wobble unless your front and back bearings are not adjusted properly. They must both contact the bottom rail at the same time.

I have had a similar thing happen when a bottom cam follower bearing has gone bad. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Chuck White

I have had the sawhead on my mill wobble (or bounce) in the past.

What I found was that I had been "over greasing" the cam rollers and the grease would accumulate sawdust and dirt and build up on the bottom rail.

Then whenever the sawhead reached that point, the head would bounce or rock a little.

Check the bottom rail for cleanliness!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LOGDOG

I'd also check the alignment and gap between the lower cam bearings and the bottom rail. There should be a section on that in your owner's manual. If that's right and the mill is set up level, you should have a nice, rigid head in the cut.

Bibbyman

Check for debris behind the battery box. Most of the bolt heads on the back side of the frame are carriage head. But a few are hex head and I've had chunks between the battery box and frame hang up on them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jim_Rogers

I also was going to mention either battery box clearance issues or bearings on the rails.
If there is some build up on a rail then when the bearing rolls over it the head will wobble a little.

You could check your bottom rail as mentioned and by lifting the head up out at the log side of your mill you'll release the pressure on your bottom rail bearing so that you can spin it by hand and see if it spins freely or if it binds as it turns. If it binds some then it may need to be replaced.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

danreed76

I've seen similar issues in the past when one of the outrigger (jack) feet get a bit loose from the soil settling under them.  Rotating machinery has some natural vibration, when it finds a soft foot to resonate, it amplifies it.  Can be quite nasty feeling, almost bouncy on the cantilever head, but doesn't affect the cut.  When you get past the "soft" or loose foot and the frame gets rigid again, things smooth right out.  I see this alot right after I've moved the mill and it settles a bit on wet or soft ground. Usually I can quiet mine down by just driving a couple thin slices off wood under the foot in question to shim it up tight.

First time i figured it out, I checked the machine for cracked or broken welds, but all good.  Mine's just finicky about the setup sometimes,even with good size pieces of wood under the feet.

-Dan
Woodmizer LT40 Hydraulic with resaw attachment |  Kubota MX5200  | (late)1947 8N that I can't seem to let go.

drobertson

Thanks everyone, good stuff maynard!  We did have a down pour saturday evening and this is where the water comes in under those riggers. I have shimmed and shimmed over the years on the same two. this explains the random or intermitent wobble.  this is why I like this forum, lots of very helpful information! even if its simple, and it usually is most of the time. I hope you all have a fantastics week..  David

Thank You Sponsors!