iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heading in a new direction..more like a circle.

Started by Stephen Alford, April 02, 2017, 11:40:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I see something to dig rocks with.  ;D
A good idea. That will keep you in place when winching.
My tractor is 6 feet wide. I feel safe on it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Stephen Alford

Cfarm the wheels are now 7' outside. this tractor has 4 settings.

The teeth go full depth no problem even without down pressure.

They seem to handle logs at the landing.

I think they will reduce brake ware as well.

Just a couple of pics from today.   :)

logon

thecfarm

Nice outside pictures.
Seven feet wide should make it stable for ya.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Shoot, youre half way to makin it a grapple skidder now!  :D
Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

Well it has finally happened, A buddy of mine has been visiting and he likes to stay connected to his grandchildren by making little vids and putting them on utube.. ol blue made a cameo appearance ... guess immortality via utube has  happened   :D

https://youtu.be/aku_fWA0JF0
logon

thecfarm

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

Thanks lads glad to share.   :)  Getting ready for the transition season. Need something for dragging roads to work with the frost. Reworking some steel . Using an ol truck bumper for now.

Will do for now, travelling through the fields now that the crop has been harvested.

Pleased with the teeth for handling slash. Generally it is spread through the stand. When I have to  , I put it on the downhill / inside corners.

Putting an access road in now.

Great time of year to be in a woodlot. Just have to remember if I am guessing distance in English or Metric.  :D

logon

thecfarm

When I puts roads on my land,with the trees I want to leave,knolls,rocks,and wet areas,it's hard to get a straight road through it all.

Stephen Alford

Were a woodlot bumps against another woodlot with a different owner and where  it is possible the trail is put in parallel to the adjacent property with a 30' treed buffer.  In my vision of your roads Ray there is probably a lot of signs like  ...caution" man at hard work " ... danger " swamp ahead"  and now i am guessing ... Home of the  "offthebeatenpath cfarm drill hammer eat rock company"    :D
logon

thecfarm

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

Like most of you there is always some project on the work bench.  Getting things straight and round is a skill I do not have. The fact that time and material resources are a tad scarce not to mention everything is pretty much bent to start with do not help.  Anyway always on the hunt for good tabs. Stopped by the local steel shop . They cut and punched holes using a shear in these 1/2" 4x3" tabs for $3.00 each. I was surprised. With a couple smaller holes and a zip cut they could also be used for sliders on chain chockers.    :)

logon

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

Great to see all the tractor pics. Thank-you.    Seasons are changing , sure miss having a skidder however things are going well. The combination tractor/skidder is a sweet combo for a one man show. Been trying to rework things on the front end of the tractor. When I had to make the choice for front end loader or log loader ,for me at least the log loader was the way to go. When you purchase a tractor over 60 hp it and anything attached to it at the time of purchase is zero rated;no taxes.  So for the front end "no money solutions" are called for. the next couple pics are not pretty so for those faint of heart this is your opportunity to "log off"  :D  :D

pause

pause

The blade that I had was just to wide to work in a  thinning. So narrowed it . This is working well. Damage to residuals was caused by the wide radius. Had to cut it in two so different things could be put on the front. The 3 pt configuration allows for changing the angle.  Nice to have the lift capability back.

Tried making a v blade of sorts.

Nice to be able to tidy up the landing. The summer landing was out in the open to get rid of the bugs with the breeze. Now it is time for a landing that is sheltered and with southern exposure.  Stay safe  :)

logon

mike_belben

When are you gonna stop teasing us and show that truck chassis forwarding trailer?
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

How right you are about sticking out in front. The wife's tractor,30hp,has no loader on it. Yes,it's a shorter tractor but nothing in the front that sticks out 4 feet and 6 feet wide either. I can sneak that thing through the woods,but only been allowed to do it a few times. The woods is hard on equipment.
But I would miss the bucket too. Sometimes I haul in a load of rocks and than I haul out a bucket of firewood as I am hauling out trees behind it.

Stephen Alford

Hey Mike the trailer is used at the landing to sort /load and sometimes to haul out to the landing. I rent out by the hour sometimes to tear down buildings or load wood for others. It was mounted on the rear of a truck back when I had a sawmill and was building stream crossings. It has never worked well in the woods. Always thought I might come across an old belarus manure spreader with offset walking beam suspension.  Cut a piece of pipe in half and use it to load stuff. The rotating pintle works great. The trailer will roll and not take the tractor. Not many "borrowers " have a pintle setup. The reciever set up works great on the 3pt. Unhook the adapter and drive away. To hook on it is just back up and lift.  Just happen to have a couple of pics.  ;D

Cfarm any pics of you in your "wifes" tractor ???????    :laugh:
logon

thecfarm

I have to ask permission to use it and than say what for.  :D  Not quite that bad.   ;D And I am the one that wash and wax it too. She does not want her tractor to look like my tractor. That is why I try to keep it out of the woods.

lopet

Quote from: Stephen Alford on November 16, 2017, 07:33:16 AM
When I had to make the choice for front end loader or log loader ,for me at least the log loader was the way to go.

Stephen, when you once had a loader you will never go back to something else. Mine comes down right in front of the tires with the quick attach plate. The blade on the skidder I only use for making new trails.
Btw I have a Belarus spreader but that one has no suspension but good rubber.  Oooh sorry my wife just said it's not for sale.  :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mike_belben

Looks like a great setup.  I like the pin on dirt clam. 

I have a small pintle hook box trailer i built that i grab with the bobcat grapple and drive along to piles, setting it down and loading as i go sort of like your 3pt pintle technique.  I love not getting out of the machine.   But its definitely the bobcat the would flip the trailer in my case! 
Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

Cfarm, as long as you and your wife keep  "rockin" you folks will do just fine.  ;)

Ahhh my friend lopet... oh to be in the zone where expansion and growth were possible ; a loader would be a great way to go.  Forestry and firewood is quickly becoming a subsistence lifestyle , at least in my reality.  We recently had two new extension cords laid under the straight to the mainland. The province is really pushing any form of electric energy. Heat pumps or air to air are fast becoming the norm. I suppose once everyone is relying on electrical  the price for it will then increase. The demand for firewood may return but it does not seem it will be any time soon.

Mike do you harvest your wood or do you buy it delivered ?

Saw this guy on my walk out.  I think it might be a great grey or barred owl.  Pretty neat not nervous of me at all. 

logon

mike_belben

By the time i left massachusetts my electric bill delivery had 13 lines of delivery charges tacked onti the kwh fee.  The part i wanted to buy was less than the surcharges i was forced to buy.  Eversource bought out western mass electric. Within a few years i went from .07/kwh to around 18.   Why send an army to conquer people when you can just buy out their power grid.  Youre right, itll be astronomical once the sweetheart signup is complete.  Keep your timber gear.

I live on 5 acre rectangle of former timber stand back in the woods. Im repairing the generations of high grading on my own lot and a few neighbors by culling about 70% of it which is only suitable for firewood. 

I cant load pulp fast enough or get a good enough rate locally in under CDL quantities to bother with it so i do firewood.  Which is perfect since my wife works full time and my 4yr old isnt in school yet, have to be home and make money at the same time.
I cut/split/stack while he makes sandbox construction sites in the driveway.

Much of my firewood gets dropped off for free from tree companies trying to get their truck empty, especially during storm season.  The wood isnt even close to the value of getting to the next job with daylight.  Id say i got 15 cord dropped off this summer.   I built a thick rock driveway with room to get a semi tractor in and out which is very rare here, and ive got a loader always ready.  our roads are almost european narrow with sharp ditches on both sides and 12ft driveway culverts that always have a mailbox right where it cant be.    So that alone is helpful in getting commercial folks to keep you in mind. 
Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

We had a beautiful November day, cold, drizzal ,wind from the NE, bleak ...wood stoves lit everywhere.. :D .  Mike you probably have one but I was thinking of those wood pics you posted. This is a block puller for when a roumd gets stuck. takes about 10 minutes to make ,very handy. Just put over block and ram then reverse.

It has been getting colder. have been running an exhaust hose from the truck to the fuel pump. Sure helps the tractor get going. By time I give the saw a rub and have a coffee she is good to go.  Sorry I have posted this before but thought it might be of help.

Moved into this stand which is a little more sheltered for the winter.  Go easy..   :)

logon

Thank You Sponsors!