iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E-classic 2400

Started by mojamboo, October 31, 2011, 05:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojamboo

New to forum...Own a 2100sf house on dirt crawlspace in VT. heat with wood stove insert with about 7 chord of wood per year and can't keep the house above 66 in January. we are looking for heating solution which would allow us to continue using wood but also use the base board hot water heating system we have in the house which is oil and too expensive to use.

We are looking at purchasing a Central Boiler E-Classic 2400. we have spoken with a few people who claim to have a 2400 but it may have been a 2300. they were complaining about cracks in the firebox where the firebox is next to the water jacket. Is this an issue with the 2400 or the 2300?

Does anyone own an E-Classic 2400? have you had any problems? any advice for a potential new owner? any installation tips/tricks? any advice?

big expense and lots of mixed reviews any advice is welcome!

Dean186

Hi mojamboo and welcome to the forum,

There are some members here who own the E-classic 2400.  You should find some information via the search function.

I have not read of any problems with the E-classic 2400 or the E-classic 1400 for that matter, and it has been out for 3 years.

boilerman101

Welcome Mojamboo, I had a 2300 for 2 years. It also developed cracks out of air channel holes but did not seem to affect performance. My CB dealer friend helped me sell it used and I have now run the 2400 since Jan 2009. I find it much easier to operate and easier to maintain. So far it has been bulletproof. The air tube in the bottom of the firebox seems to be much better than the grates and fusion combustor that are often talked about.

stumper

I have a 2300 and used to heat (including water) my 3200 sq ft house in central Maine with 5 cords burnt in an air tight fire place and 450 gallons of oil.  Now I am using a smidge over 6 cords and 85 gallons(summer hot water)  The house is a nice steady temp not the fluctuating temps like before.  It is also not a dry as when heating with the fireplace.  Great improvement in comfort level.

I can only speak to the 2300 and its problems not the 2400, but I suspect you will be very please with the comfort level of the home switching to the ODWB and base board heat.

grousehunter

Check out 2300 problems.
I live across the river, born and raised in VT.
Make sure you get a good dealer that will service the unit.
I understand there is a good one out of Putney VT.
My two 2300 units purchased in 2008 have had a number of issues.
They have made a number of changes to that model, so I expect things are much better.
As to heating ability with CBs the biggest issue was getting enough demand to keep them running on the 2300s if you had a tight house.
Older house you should have good demand and they should run well.
Become familiar with wood size prior to buying.
I found the first year with the 2300 I had to re-split my wood to a smaller size (4-8 inch diameter) than I burned in my Hearthstone Mansfield stove.
When they work they are great!
I use about 6.5 cords to heat 3200 square feet of new house.
Radiant and base board.
Get the best pipe to place underground to keep heat lost down and buy a good heat exchanger.
Much nicer than a wood stove in the long run.
good luck

Thank You Sponsors!