iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bangor dailynews online

Started by snowstorm, February 08, 2014, 08:19:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowstorm

a article and video about irving. and how they manage there land in maine 

rick f

I read that to. They are here for the long haul. I've got a friend that is a buyer ( not wood)  for them. He said Ashland mill will mostly saw for Home Depot. There putting 30 million $  in there, should start test runs in early may I think.
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

Ken

Sounds like they are a great corporate citizen benefitting the people of Maine. ;)  I'm not sure what percentage of the industry they control in Maine but here in NB they are by far the largest player.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

BHC

I sat through a meeting a few weeks back where two of their foresters gave a pretty good talk on there outcome based forestry, and it makes a lot of sense, if anyone gets the chance they should do the same, you can also go on there web site and state dept of con, and read about it.
Irving and there forester's are involved with the people of Maine, very involved with the sportsman's, and have been right along, i know in my grandfathers generation did not like Irving, and sometimes these hard feelings can be hard to overcome, but i feel they are a different company. If they aren't the biggest player there close, they are one of the few Major landowners who are investing in the future of the forests here, from there rd systems, to the new mill, along with there other mills they currently running here, They investing in the rail road, which i know has had some controversy, but the bottom line if they hadn't, there a very good chance that it would have been made into a 4 wheeler trail which would have been a loss to all industry in Maine. This is pretty rare these days here in Maine, a company investing in Maine!
I was moose hunting last fall on some of there ground, and it is the first time i have seen where, when they replant clear cuts and mix white pine into the spruce. Was on a land tour with them last summer for a meeting and you can truly see they are trying to do the right thing, not necessary the cheapest or easiest to get the wood out but really investing in the woods. In this day and age when investment company's own so much here for timberland, and there only concern is the amount of dollars they make now, Irving gives me some hope for the long term of the industry
84 C5D Tree Farmer, 78 S8 International, Thompson Band Mill, M14 Foyley Belsaw

Stinny

Your comment "This is pretty rare these days here in Maine, a company investing in Maine!" is so true, so... if Irving is doing good things, how can that be a bad thing?
Suzuki 4x4 on Tatou tracks tugging logs in winter

Thank You Sponsors!