iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad end to a good day

Started by Woodboogah, May 06, 2014, 05:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodboogah

Well I am almost done cutting our lot of all the ugly bull pine.  I was have a productive day and was dedicated to working late (because being productive just makes me want to stack those logs).  I was cutting in the wind, it wasnt to bad but still kept you on your toes.  I was cutting a leaner and swinging around, the saw got pinched due to the wind.  So instead of messing with pounding wedges more I got in the machine and back up to it and pushed it over.  Now there was a dead leaner only about 6" DBH that was hung up perpendicular to the tree I was cutting.  Instead of cutting it I figured the tree I was cutting would just take it down with it. It was crumbly dead pine.  Well down goes the tree and rolled down the dead pine and crushed my 460 that I just rebuilt.  Handle got mangled and gas tank assembly ruined.  Picked up my stuff headed up the field parked machine and opened a beer and proceeded to take apart saw and order parts.  Could of been worse I guess. 
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

howitzer

Better to take the time and remove your motorhead when doing things like that. I learned the way you just described.

Dave Shepard

I had one set back on my bar a couple of weeks ago. I pulled the PH and had a bit of a project to get it to go where it was supposed to go. Bad heart rot. The tree ahead of this one went where it was supposed to go. The one behind it did not. And I put even more work into that one. ::) I've had to pull the PH a couple of times on this job.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

chester_tree _farmah

That sucks man..... I have pushed a tree over with my saw in it. Glad it wasn't worse. Cheers.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

drlewis

could have been worse. no beer

chester_tree _farmah

254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Timbercruiser

Busting up a saw is so easy to do and it always happens when things are going good. :( Glad you didnt get hurt . I busted up my same saw 2 times before wearing out a chain. Once in a tree and the other time I ran it over with the skidder. lol !! :D

BargeMonkey

Ive smashed up probably 8 saws so far. Best was in the winter, cutting big maple on the steep. Left a good tab on the back, finishing up my bore cut with a 395 and 3' bar, wind blows and yanks my tab out of the root base and pinches the saw as she goes. Mangled the head, had maybe 100hrs on it.

clww

Sorry for your loss, but at least you can still get all the parts for it at your dealer. The last one I crushed was my 084 a couple years ago. It took me more than a year to track down all the parts I needed. Biggest problems I've had were usually at the end of the day.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

thecfarm

Your figureing sounds like my figureing. I have learned not to figure.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BEEMERS

In times like these you have to think of how much worse it could have been...You could have been hurt and not had beer..you could have been killed and not had beer..or even just not had beer!! Im not pokin fun..Sounds just like the way I do it. 8)BEER! 8)

BEEMERS

Sorry guys..if my last post was out of line...Ive been drinking

sawguy21

Don't sweat it. I have come uncomfortably close to doing myself serious damage when I am pushing to finish at the end of a day. Tired and not paying attention to the details.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodboogah

Yup could have been a lot worse, could have been me instead of the saw.  And no beer at the end of the day would be a shame.  I hope it goes back together as quick as it came apart. 

petefrom bearswamp

Too bad Woodboogah.
End of day =tired = mistakes.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

lynde37avery

better saw than yourself. things happen in the woods i break and lose stuff some times, its just the business.
Detroit WHAT?

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: BEEMERS on May 06, 2014, 09:36:51 PM
Sorry guys..if my last post was out of line...Ive been drinking

NP! That wasn't out of line -  IMO - all good fun. We all need to laugh sometimes.  :D
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

luvmexfood

Quote from: thecfarm on May 06, 2014, 09:14:06 PM
Your figureing sounds like my figureing. I have learned not to figure.  ;D

That is sort of like I say about thinking. Try not to do it cause it gives me a headache. Sometimes we all do things when we look back on them it's like "well I don't think I will try that again" now where is my beer.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

petefrom bearswamp

My worst was when had my cs600p hung up in a cut, used my small saw to free it and cut a hole in the gas tank.
2 applications of JB quickweld later the saw is working OK.
No beer close by when that happened.
Yesterday was a good day, then I did some minor damage to the  forks on my tractor, now need to weld and fix.
Beer was close, was time to enjoy same and contemplate nature.
I could fill a sizeable book with my dumb mistakes.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Woodboogah

Got it all back together last night with only one spare part that I couldnt figure out where it went.  Part of the dampening.  Still waiting on a handle.  I have been chopping with my 362 and its getting frustrating to say the least.  With my tendons killing me the 660 would be pointless.  I would be useless after half a day. 

Ed_K

Them handle's are made of gold ya know  ;D . Glad you could save it.
Ed K

Southside

Not sure if "funny" the right word to use, but it is funny how many times it is the last tree of the day that causes the most problems.  How many times I have said I will just get one more and that one pinches, hangs, splits, or manages to glue itself to the ground so tight I can not get a choker under it, and of course it is on the opposite side of a wet hole so the grapple is useless.  Then that will be the same tree that fetches on the stump after I dig a channel under it to get the choker around it.   Maybe its time to say I will get two more trees and just stop after one....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dave Shepard

It's the same with digging holes. Never take "just one more scoop". That will be where the water/electric/phone line is buried. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Southside

I found one of those phone lines when I decided to run the sub-soiler across the lawn when working a field on the other side of the driveway, thought opening up the ground would do the lawn some good... smiley_furious3
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

Went to start this new woodlot, figured I was safe with the utilities. Nope. Phone line was 3"s in the ground. Came right up as I was backing the slasher table in with the small skidder.

Thank You Sponsors!