iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting barn photo

Started by Woulde, September 06, 2010, 03:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woulde

A picture can say a thousand words, but I could only shake my head when I saw this. :o

Photo taken in Hybe, Slovakia.

terrifictimbersllc

Is this "eminent domain"?  I've heard of the electric company butchering your trees but not your building!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

isawlogs

I guess getting a pole longer by a few feet would of been to easy  ::)   Then again , not knowing the whole story behind the pic, makes it defficalt to comment. But I did anyway  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

mrcaptainbob

I dunno....right off I'd have to accuse that as having been Photo-Shopped. No way would that barn have been built like that. No way would the wires have been draped over the building like that. Restrictions are really adhered to under high tension lines like those. No permanent structure on the wire right-of-way, usually within thirty feet either side of a perpendicular from the wire. There were also height restrictions on some 44kv lines on the neighbor's property that affected trees on my property. The power company claim was the tree height was such that if they toppled and came within twelve feet of the lines that arcing can occur. I kept them from cutting the trees down by allowing them to top them instead, restricting further upward growth. We were both satisfied. That building just doesn't look real in that setting.

beenthere

mrcaptainbob
It was credited as taken in Hybe, Slovakia.  Maybe photoshopped, and maybe not the standard electrical codes we have either. Likely, never will know for sure.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Its got a strong photoshop feel to me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gary_C

There's waay too many powerlines in that picture for it to be real. And the shadows on the building do not make sense. If the sun is behind and to the right and the pole is in the sun, why is this side of the building in the shadows.

A fake.  ::)

Here are some real pictures from the offical city web site.

http://www.hybe.sk/index.php?b=foto&id=15

http://www.hybe.sk/index.php?b=skola&id=7

Looks like a nice little town in the mountains.

This guy does not look pleased that such a photo could be shopped around.

http://www.hybe.sk/index.php?b=starosta&id=3

:) :)    :D :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

shinnlinger

My vote is it is real, but I am impressed with Gary's research.   I have done a few things with photoshop, but taking a non-descript barn and hacking the roof a bit was not on the list of things I wanted to do.  There simply isn't enough people that would care about that photo to make it worth it, but then again, we seem too....

Now Slovakia used to be Communist and I can see that if the power crew only had that length pole and private property rights were nonexistent the above barn is what happens.  

is this real???

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Woulde

Suppose I should have said that I took the picture during a recent trip to Slovakia.  I was so amused by this photo, I went back and took another.

Jeff

Well that's about as good of validation as one needs to have.  That's crazy. :D

But is THIS real?  :D
From the Thread Bringing down the silo. A Forestry Forum Classic.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,19531.0.html

Woulde

My wife was born in Slovakia in 1968 and lived in Hybe with her Grandparents for the first seven years of her live.  Her parents during that time lived about an hour away in Banska Bystrica.  The Russians had taken the country over in 1968 and her parents felt she was safer in Hybe.

Here are a few more photos taken during our visit this summer:

Gary_C

Ya that does look real now. But then again, where did those crossing power lines from the first picture go?   ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

beenthere

Quote from: Gary_C on September 07, 2010, 10:32:42 AM
Ya that does look real now. But then again, where did those crossing power lines from the first picture go?   ::)

They are still there.  ;D   
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

They are still there, Gary.  You have to look real close.

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Woulde

This photo was taken after the Lions and Bears game Sunday.

Is it real?  Cast your vote!  ;D

Jeff

I watched that game so I can vouch for the validity of that one.

beenthere

I saw that setting, but without the mask and sidearm. ;D

But do think the Lions were robbed.

The intent of the rule certainly can't include the way the ball was received and carried (albeit in one hand) and placed on the ground, to be released when the receiver was standing up. IMO  :)

Da Bears should feel real guilty accepting that win.

So I vote "not real"    ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!