iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logs to drool over!

Started by T Welsh, December 11, 2012, 06:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

After reading Kilgrosh,s thread about a cherry log. And seeing the replies,I though wouldn't it be neat with Christmas around the corner to see cool logs that our membership have cut and all the rest of us can just DROOL!!!

American Sycamore from a local job with bookmatched boards. So lets see everyone else,s Logs to drool over! Tim

Magicman

This entire sawjob was Cherry.

And turned out some nice lumber.

Three boards.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_S.

I cut this walnut a few years back.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Jemclimber

Beautiful boards, love the pictures.  My SO says we live in a log graveyard, she says I'm obsessed. I tell her some people collect coins and other things, I like to collect logs and boards.  I have a hard time using my my nicest boards to make things and usually use the junky stuff, saving the the nicest for that special piece of furniture that someday I'm going to build. :D  Here's some walnut I finally cut up this weekend from a log I've been saving for 5 years, before I had my lt15. Sap wood was fluff but the heart was nice.

lt15

rooster 58

Wow! That's what I'm talkn about! I cant wait to get my mill into action. I've been a wood junkie all my life, love everything about it. These pics really do make me salivate!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Brad......WOW.......$$$$$$$$.......very nice!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Brad_S.

Thanks David but in retrospect, I probably would have made more selling the log as a veneer log. Too soon old, too late smart!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

qbilder

Tamarisk from the banks of the Rio Grande. A local park removes and stacks them in a firewood/rot pile for anybody to access. I get some burly, colorful logs from there.
God bless our troops

Misfit

You guys are just mean! Have pity on the mill-less ones puhleeze; all we can do is drool.  :'(
I am neither a Philopolemic Blatherskite nor a Bloviating, Sialoquent Blatteroon.

"Say nuthin and saw wood."

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: qbilder on December 11, 2012, 10:21:34 AM

Tamarisk from the banks of the Rio Grande. A local park removes and stacks them in a firewood/rot pile for anybody to access. I get some burly, colorful logs from there.

:o :o :o
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

hackberry jake

Cherry log 34" little end 38" big end. Made some wonderful lumber.

Ambrosia sycamore that came from this log

Big ole cedar logs

Big ole Osage orange log.

Wish we could all get grade A logs everyday.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Cypressstump

Quote from: qbilder on December 11, 2012, 10:21:34 AM

WHAT?  I spent over 20 years out there in the Albq. area , fighting the dreaded cottonwoods,olives, and other invasive species along the bosque while duck hunting the rio grande and never noticed the tamarisk. But then i was not milling anything either, working to much on other things.

That slab you have makes me wanna' swing back out there for a while to investigate what I have apparently missed.

thanks for sharing. Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

T Welsh

Now that's some logs to drool over, Good start! lets add some fuel to the fire!

A hickory that lived in a swampy area and picked up a lot of minerals. I tried to buy it from the customer. But he declined >:(. Tim

shelbycharger400

17 to 20 in wide for the first 6 feet, small degrade at the end, its good on one side.
9 footer!  I sawed it at 4 in thick! Thinking about resawing it in half and making a table
I did have one before that was 22 or 24 in that didnt have any rot, guy I worked with sold it for .15/ bd foot  ::)
I have 250 more still standing to get, stupid snow ::)

Photo from last spring,  they wait
They are planted about 20 feet apart

qbilder

Quote from: Cypressstump on December 11, 2012, 04:03:07 PM
WHAT?  I spent over 20 years out there in the Albq. area , fighting the dreaded cottonwoods,olives, and other invasive species along the bosque while duck hunting the rio grande and never noticed the tamarisk. But then i was not milling anything either, working to much on other things.

That slab you have makes me wanna' swing back out there for a while to investigate what I have apparently missed.

thanks for sharing. Stump

I got these logs just south of Elephant Butte, in Caballo, where the green chili grows :) I get the bigger tamarisks and screw bean mesquites. The mesquite looks great, too. The screw bean looks more like a rosewood than a mesquite. I'll try to get a pic. I have one slab left.     
God bless our troops

hackberry jake

I never thought I would say this but, I like that pecan!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave Shepard

Walnut for WDH:

Only ones I've ever cut. I think I've figured out what the W stands for.  :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

AdamT

For all the walnut fans out there, here's a crotch I milled for a customer a few months back. It was probably the most beautifully figured lumber I have had on my mill yet...

2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I tell ya.....this is a good title for a thread, "LOGS TO DROOL OVER".

Nice crotch Adam! That worth $$$$.

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 11, 2012, 09:03:44 PM
Nice crotch Adam!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(you were all thinking it! :))

btw I totally agree, that is really cool
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

AdamT

Quote from: JohnM on December 11, 2012, 09:10:10 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 11, 2012, 09:03:44 PM
Nice crotch Adam!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(you were all thinking it! :))

btw I totally agree, that is really cool

Hahahaha! We better leave this one alone or we'll all be in The Woodshed!
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

WDH

If this was not shaping up to be a favorite thread of mine, I would send it to the Woodshed  ;D.

Hackberry, ambrosia sycamore?  I am not sure that I can take it!

WOW!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 11, 2012, 09:22:18 PM

....ambrosia sycamore?  I am not sure that I can take it!

WOW!

Makes ya shed a tear don't it?  :D

JohnM

NO WOODSHED!  Delete my comment first, this thread is too neat to be ruined by someone's (my) internal 5th grader. ;D

JM
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Magicman

Quote from: T Welsh on December 11, 2012, 05:33:57 PMlets add some fuel to the fire!

Did someone say fire  ??? ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!