iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bought a Frick 02 sawmill

Started by 03westernstar, November 10, 2013, 11:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

03westernstar

New to this forum posting thing so bear with me here.
Hello, Ive been reading awhile so I will post my latest adventure, New to the sawmilling stuff but not new to mechanical things, Ive been working with my father in the shop since I was 6 (now 18).We run a fleet of 73 trucks hauling sand, stone, concrete pipe and concrete structure.
Well anyway I have been looking for a Frick sawmill to set up for my grandfather to run like he had back in the Fiftes, As kind of a hobby (he's 81 now).I had been looking around localy with no avail I found one in Stevens Vally, TN, About 600 miles away from my place, So I called the guy up and he said it was still available, Came with a 350 Buick unit, extra saw blade and had space to load (or so he said) so I loaded up my f350,Bobcat and 38'gooseneck and headed out that weekend(I might add I am going without a crew just myself) After driving around awhile I find his driveway up this steep Hill,I had to unload my Bobcat at the bottom because my truck would not even pull up his driveway but once I got to the top it flattened out enough for park to hold and I could chock the wheels. When we walked over to where the mill was I was suprized at how he got it up here (Boy I had a job ahead of me) The mill's wood had been replaced with 10'' I beam all exept the husk but the husk sat on 10'' I beam. The unit was a 350 Buick skylark car cut off behind the seats with a flat belt pully on the transmission and a cable ran over to the sawyer for the throttle/governer (Very interesting setup) so I made the deal of $2000 for the mill and I got to work. I started with cutting the rusty carrage cable loose rolling it back and taking it off then cutting the I beam into 3 pieces so my Bobcat would handle it then attempting to get the blade off then moving the husk and ajoining I beam but my bobcat wouldent pick it up so I had to take the husk off the I beam then carefully without bending the blade load it on the trailer on top the carrage track.With the carrage on the top deck and the track, Husk ,Bobcat and half of a Buick skylark on the bottom deck I set out back to Va. I weighed my load at 34,120lbs gross 4,240lbs on the steer,10,380lbs on the drive and 19,500lbs on the trailer.All on a 96 f350 7.3 Powerstroke auto. Every hill felt like a Mountan and some of the acual mountans knocked me back from 70-25mph.

Once I figure out how to post pictures I will,I took quite a few

DbltreeBelgians

Welcome to the forum 03westernstar. Looking forward to the pics and progress on your new to you mill.

Brent

Buddyw

Welcome to the forum 03westernstar.
I have a Frick also that I just got setup.
I noticed your in Ruther Glen area.
Not from from me at all.

thecfarm

03westernstar,welcome to the forum. That project will make you Grandfather proud. Is he in good health? Able to point you in the right directions setting the saw up??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ddcuning

Congrats on the mill and welcome to the FF! I have a Frick 00 that I am just finishing up so I, like others here, know the fun that awaits you! Now that my mill is almost done I started thinking...what am I going to do now?...then it hit me....SAW!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

03westernstar

Quote from: thecfarm on November 11, 2013, 08:53:34 AM
03westernstar,welcome to the forum. That project will make you Grandfather proud. Is he in good health? Able to point you in the right directions setting the saw up??

Yes he is in good health, He's acualy restoring a 1952 gmc 2 1/2ton cabover truck at the moment.
He dident set his mill up way back when The guy he bought it from set it up, Im just going on how I took it apart and how (I Think) it works

03westernstar

I thank everyone for all the welcome replys

valley

This has the start of a really cool story , would like to think I'd have a grandson someday that I mean enough to for something like that , I to started in the circle mill world today , been running a band but did the deal today , will start tearing down tomorrow for move .
Have a great day unless you have other plans !!!

drobertson

03, way to go man, it should be fun and rewarding for all,  look forward to some photos,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

landscraper

03westernstar - Does your company haul precast for Americast (or CP&P I think they are called now after the merger) ?  I used to buy sanitary and storm structures and RCP from them and I seem to recall some of the contract trucks had Ruther Glen on the door decals.  Most of my stuff came from Ashland up to jobs in Albemarle County, or out of Harrisonburg. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

03westernstar

Pictures. I tried to get the steep hill into the picures but it dident really work

thecfarm

Nice job on the pictures. I like the "white space" between the pictures. But I really like the half car power plant the most. It works.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

03westernstar

Quote from: landscraper on November 11, 2013, 09:45:09 PM
03westernstar - Does your company haul precast for Americast (or CP&P I think they are called now after the merger) ?  I used to buy sanitary and storm structures and RCP from them and I seem to recall some of the contract trucks had Ruther Glen on the door decals.  Most of my stuff came from Ashland up to jobs in Albemarle County, or out of Harrisonburg.

Yes L.L Carter and Son Inc, Ruther Glen,VA    yea the company we haul for its called CP&P now we haul out of Ashland,VA  Chesapeak,VA and Harrisonburg

beenthere

03westernstar
Look forward to your re-conditioning of the Frick00.

You may already have this, but a good circular publication in .pdf can be found here. 
It is highly regarded as very good information.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

03westernstar

Pics. I stayed with my mother overnight at her campsite in Tn she moved down there and is building a house with her husband at the moment(that's a long story short, lol)

03westernstar

This past weekend I Have been making some progress And once again Nobody wants to help me with my projects so me and my dog started out after 12 on Saturday when I got away from the shop

thecfarm

Can always count on the Log Dog. That looked like quite the load.I would be looking at that if I saw it going down the road.

03westernstar

Quote from: thecfarm on November 12, 2013, 09:27:48 AM
Can always count on the Log Dog. That looked like quite the load.I would be looking at that if I saw it going down the road.
[/quote.   Quite alot of people were looking,lol

Solomon

Quote from: 03westernstar on November 11, 2013, 09:00:06 PM

Yes he is in good health, He's acualy restoring a 1952 gmc 2 1/2ton cabover truck at the moment.
He dident set his mill up way back when The guy he bought it from set it up, Im just going on how I took it apart and how (I Think) it works
Greetings Westernstar,  I am thinking of buying a  Frick Mill also a 00, from a friend here in Virginia.
You seem like a really awesome young man.  There's not many 18 year old guys out there that could do what you're doing, or be interested in it to start with.
How far are you from Norfolk?
I live in Chesapeake just 15 minutes from down town Norfolk.
I would really like to follow your progress setting up that Frick.
My name's Pete and I'm looking forward to speaking with you.
My Telephone # is 757.438.6298
Everyone on this site is always welcome to call and jabber jaw about anything.
You will find that this is a truly fantastic web site.   99.9999999999999999999 % of the folks on here are  genuine and willing to help each other.
So welcome aboard , I think you will be a great asset to the forum.
  With Kind Regards,  Pete Conlogue.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

03westernstar

Quote from: Solomon on November 12, 2013, 02:27:01 PM
Quote from: 03westernstar on November 11, 2013, 09:00:06 PM

Greetings Westernstar,  I am thinking of buying a  Frick Mill also a 00, from a friend here in Virginia.
You seem like a really awesome young man.  There's not many 18 year old guys out there that could do what you're doing, or be interested in it to start with.
How far are you from Norfolk?
I live in Chesapeake just 15 minutes from down town Norfolk.
I would really like to follow your progress setting up that Frick.
My name's Pete and I'm looking forward to speaking with you.
My Telephone # is 757.438.6298
Everyone on this site is always welcome to call and jabber jaw about anything.
You will find that this is a truly fantastic web site.   99.9999999999999999999 % of the folks on here are  genuine and willing to help each other.
So welcome aboard , I think you will be a great asset to the forum.
  With Kind Regards,  Pete Conlogue.

I will give you a call   Im about 130miles from Chesapeake I regularly drive to Chesapeake to work on trailers and trucks as we work out of the CP&P plant

03westernstar

Got off work a little early today and made a little millgress before it got dark.

thecfarm

You are keeping the front of the car intact?? I really like that part of the mill.   :)

sealark37

Does the car radio work?  The A/C in the car would be a big help for the off-bearer.  It is truly a pleasure to see the young sawyers' great store of energy and ambition.  Take a picture of your Grandfather's face when he saws that first log!    Regards, Clark

03westernstar

Quote from: thecfarm on November 13, 2013, 09:23:56 AM
You are keeping the front of the car intact?? I really like that part of the mill.   :)

Yes I am keeping the car intact I have a Waukesha unit to run the mill I was going to use the car for my Edgar or the plainer

03westernstar

Ive been working slowly its been raining every weekend so far its been very muddy

Thank You Sponsors!