iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie jumping in with both feet…finally!

Started by Cichlidgoob, January 02, 2014, 08:12:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cichlidgoob

Hi, folks,

I've been lurking around these pages and researching mills for almost a year now and finally pulled the trigger on buying one today.  I just wanted to say thank you for all the info y'all put out here for folks like me to read and learn from.

I'd like to especially thank my neighbor KelLOGg for allowing me to visit him so he could show me the ropes and try out his MP32.  One of the best things about this site and the folks on it is how freely everyone gives information to newbies.  It is so unlike the fishing forums I frequent where even telling the general area of good fishing, let alone a honey hole, is taboo...or maybe I just don't know enough yet to know you guys are holding back on me.

Thanks to all of you, and talk soon.

Mike
TK 1400

samandothers

Mike
Welcome!  Great group of folk here.  So what flavor mill did you buy? 

YellowHammer

Welcome and congratulations.   8)
I've got to ask...what's the story behind your Forum name?
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Mike.....explain your member name.  :)
I trying to pronounce it. :)

Welcome to the Forum, from South Carolina. I'm down in Rock Hill, S.C.
Get a chance, come on by.  smiley_thumbsup

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cichlidgoob

I get that question a lot.  Cichlids (sick'-lids) are a family of fish that are popular in the aquarium hobby.  The popular ones are primarily from Africa and Central/South America but they are all over the world.  The most common one that even nonaquarists have heard of is the Oscar.  Almost everyone who asks me that question thinks it is a misspelling of those square little pieces of gum...anyone over 35 or so will know what I am talking about.

In about a month I will have brand-spanking-new Timberking 1400.

Mike
TK 1400

Nomad

Welcome Mike

You don't know it yet but the first time you post that you just tried to cut a backstop, or a clamp, or tried to back out of a cut and the band came off there will be thousands of people on here snickering about it.  And every one of us has tried at least one of those things once or more.  We'll be asking for pics to prove it too!
     What did you get for a mill?  A Cooks?  Got any pics before you dust it up and knock the "new" off it?
     Okay, I was a little late.  TK makes a fine mill, and they're a quality company too.  (But the comments about cutting parts of the mill still stand.) ;D 
     Read all you can in the next month or so.  You'll have plenty of chances; you'll have some sleepless nights in there when it gets closer to delivery time. 8)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

samandothers

Very nice!  Got a red one, or at least one of the the red ones.   I struggled with the name too. Once you explained it made sense!

Jimmy Mc

Welcome, and I hope you get more sleep in the next month than I did waiting for my mill to come in.
Nomad is right about trying to cut a part of your mill off. Don't worry about it, it will not take long till you pass that very important time in your milling life. What is your plan for the lumber you will be making?
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cichlidgoob on January 02, 2014, 08:30:28 PM
I get that question a lot.  Cichlids (sick'-lids).

Mike

Thanks Mike....there's a bunch of Sick Lids down here.  :D
Congrats on the TK. Post some pics when you get it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cichlidgoob

What's my plan for making lumber??  Do I need an actual plan?   :-\  I'm gonna learn how to make good lumber and then practice like crazy.  I have plenty of wood from my yard and from friends and neighbors who are begging for folks to cut down unwanted trees or pick up trees that have come down in storms.  I turn bowls as a hobby so that is where my wood working interest began but I have always loved trees and this new hobby is a way to make them live on as some really cool furniture or a simple little bowl that I can throw my wallet and keys into.  The only long term plan I thought of was to make bowl blanks and then sell them or give them to folks - seems to be a market for them but sawing ain't about the money for me.  I read somewhere, "if you're buying a sawmill to make money, get ready to be disappointed."  I'm sure lots of folks make a good living with a mill but I have no visions of that for myself.  There is always a need for lumber and I already have some "orders" for unusual sized beams that my buddies can't buy at the lumber store.  They seem really excited even though I told them I am gonna waste some good wood learning how to do this and they will have to wait a long time before the lumber I "make" is project-ready.

So, my plan is to make sawdust, and enjoy the heck out of it, and maybe make some decent lumber along the way.
TK 1400

Banjo picker

It won't be that long... just long enough to dry... welcome aboard... and don't worry about folks holding back info... it just don't happen here... Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

dgdrls

Welcome aboard,  I always say this is the best place on the web,

Great folks & sponsors, all very generous with their time, knowledge and products.

DGDrls

thecfarm

Cichlidgoob,welcome to the forum. Finally a new guy that did not believe the dollar amount that can be made sawing. You will enjoy sawing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

arnold113

Welcome to the family, Cichlidgoob. You're going to love it here.
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerBrown

Welcome Mike!  (That's so much easier than the fish thing). You're going in with the right attitude -- just go out and have some fun making sawdust. Best of luck to ya!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

fat olde elf

Welcome !! You cannot do better than spending time with Bob K.  Watch for another attempt to have a meeting of Central Carolina sawyers. Weather killed our first attempt in December. It is called Tall Trees and Blue Skies.  NC Diesel volunteered to have an event at his place. Say your prayers. Paul R
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

dant1969

Ok, I'm new on here too.  Can you make decent money doing custom cutting?  Or even just cutting dimensional lumber and stacking it for sale?  Is the money good?
my name's not Tom, but I'm a "Sawyer"

beenthere

dan
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

A lot of happy sawyers on this Forum, and many, many levels of income generated from their feedback and posts on this Forum.

Lots of reading to do, but in general it will be up to you to find the niche markets (likely not the 2x dimensional lumber waiting for people to walk into your yard vs. to the box stores) in the custom sawing arena.

Fire away with what you think your limitations are, if any, and you should get some great feedback from many of the members.

But pull up a stump, and chat awhile. Nobody will lead you astray or let you get into trouble without some specific warning that you might be heading toward thin ice.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

5quarter

Hi Dan and welcome. I hear Memphis has some great BBQ...can't be worse than Detroit.  ;) ;D

Mike congrats on your new mill...No plan required. Kinda like asking my son what the plan is for those new Legos.  ;)

Sawmills don't make money, btw. People make money.  Somebody can make a lot or a little running a sawmill. that's not half as important as enjoying what you're doing, whether its sawing or something else. it sounds like you've got the right idea Mike. Looking forward to seeing all the fun stuff you'll be doing with your new saw.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

ddcuning

Mike, welcome to the FF and congrats on the mill! Look me up sometime. I live just up hwy 87 north of Pittsboro. My mill is located just off of 64 to the west of Pittsboro. Again, welcome!

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Banjo picker

Welcome to you as well there Dan.  I am about 100 miles due east of you just off hwy 72.  Your bound to come this way ever now and again... drop me a pm if you ever want to see my set up.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Chuck White

Yes, Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dan!

This is a great place to hang out!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brian C.

Yes , Welcome aboard to both of you. A great place to learn. My partner have been at it about a year now and we are still get a wack of information.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Cichlidgoob, and also to you dant1969.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!