iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling with the Logosol

Started by richhiway, March 09, 2014, 09:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richhiway

The roller head type like the procut and a logosol are not a lot a like but I am sure both have there advantages. By being able to raise the log on each bunk you can cut the taper out of a log for less waste. The more equipped bandsaws have a option to level the log. The logosol is well built and the rail the saw rides on is very rigid. You could damage it if you dropped a big log on it I guess. I like it because it is easily moved and you do not have to bend to operate it. The log and the saw are at a comfortable working height. You have to turn the log manually on these simple mills and it is much easier to do standing.Also when you remove the cut boards they are right there on top and you can just slide them off without bending over. I worked a lot with a woodmizer on a trailer and that is at good working height,I really can't imagine bending down near the ground all day. If you built a mill like the procut you would need to raise it up on a trailer or a platform,in my way of thinking.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

celliott

Welcome to the forum!

I've been looking into getting just a regular alaskan mill.
Thanks alot, now I want a logosol....... :D
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

tcg

Welcome to the forum. You most certainly will find an abundance of help and information from many good people.
I own a Logosol M8 with Husq. 395XP by your photographs you seem well on your way with the mill. I originally owned an Alaskan mill sold it and purchase the Logosol. Absolutely pleased with it's performance. I would suggest you build a log deck in front of the mill. It allows you to load larger logs with significant less chance of damage to the mill. If you go to my gallery you'll see a photo of the one I built. The ramps makes it easier to use your bucket to roll logs on the deck especially the ones you cannot lift.

Tom

richhiway

Good advice. I have that in my plans because working alone you do have to be extra careful not to bang the log into the mill.
Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

mad murdock

Welcome skydiver. Another advantage of the Logosol is the "inverted bench" method for large logs. Attaching the mill to an oversized log, with the mill inverted allows you to quarter some pretty big logs. Quartersawing is also vastly simplified on a Logosol IMO.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

richhiway

Trimming a large pine butt log with the Haddon Lumber maker so it will fit on the Logosol. It is about 26"@ the butt. The 30 inch bar just made it.After I cut the other side it is about 14" wide I am going to trim one mor side and then put onto the mill and cut 1" X 14" boards out of it. Is this a good way to go?

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40