iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

going to saw lumber for this.

Started by two saw, May 07, 2007, 08:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

two saw

I got this trailer form my grandad after he passed away as well as the tractor.
He had a local fellow build the trailer for him over 50 years ago and it is in dyre need of a rebuild.
I am not sure what type wood it is as there are so many layers of paint in the thing. Might be pine but the trailer seems too heavy and I think the thing would have rotted away by now. It spent all it's life in a shed or garage though.
I am going to use some white oak I had left over from a trailer decking board job I did.
I believe I have most of the lumber sawed but a couple pieces. It has a Model A front axle under it for a the frame.

The trailer is 4' X 6' with 10" sides, just right for a Farmall Cub or maybe a compact tractor.
I was thinking I might be able to build these trailers to resell them as another income for my mill. There is not that much to them.
What do you all think?

D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

BBTom

I have found that I cannot buy the steel, logs, axle, wheels and tires for what I can buy an entire trailer!  Maybe you will have better luck, but Harbor Freight sells a nice trailer for $299. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

theorm

Two Saw,

Can we get more pictures of the tractor? Having stuff from Grandad and Dad always seem that "He's up there watching me work" feeling when using it.

Theo   8)
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

two saw

Ok Theorm,
Here is a couple pics of the Farmall Cub My grandad had.
You are right about feeling as though they are watching us, not only in work but all aspects of our lives. Keeps me on the straight nd narrow.......well 90% of the time anyway.  ;)

BBTom, I looked at the harbor freight website and I think I found the trailer to which you were refering. Is it the little fold-up trailer?
I was thinking of not making this trailer D.O.T. legal but only as a farm cart.
I see what you were saying though, tough to compete with all that buying power.
I was just hoping to make a trailer a little more "desireable" if that is the correct term.
I will price everything I would need to build and see where it leaves me.
You may very well be right about not being able to make a profit.
Thanks for the input.
Oh and by the way I am going to PM you soon about your Mobile sawing contract.
thanks again.
Two Saw.
D&L TS 36 DTH twin saw

lmbeachy

Will the tractor go with the trailer. just kidding
hotfoot

ely

love that tractor, btw, the wheels and axle that is on that trailer are worth more than any three trailers you could build.
i would imagine the trailer is priceless to you, i know it would be if my grandfather built it.

thecfarm

I have a few of those old pick up front axles,back in the 50's.Those are the ones that I flip over to get more ground clearanace.Need at least 18" in my neck of the woods to go over the rocks.My tractor has 18" clearance,so anything that is behind has to have the same or I will forget until it is too late.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

sawmilllawyer

Hey, Two Saw, I have built or refurburished several trailers, and have put  2" balls and 3,500# axles under them. The HF trailer has a capacity of  only 2,000# max. The frame probably is not as substantial as what your grand dad had built. The both the blue and orange big box stores sell small trailers bu they cost $1,200.00 or so.  Anyway there might be a market if potential customers understand what they are pruchasing quality wise. Just my two cents.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Bibbyman

Quote from: ely on May 08, 2007, 12:07:57 PM
love that tractor, btw, the wheels and axle that is on that trailer are worth more than any three trailers you could build.

You're probably right.  Dad had a wagon built from a Model A frame.  He said he bought a kit from Sears to build it.  Said it was real common to take your ragged out Model A and roll it over in the brush to get the frame to build a wagon.

The first tractor I drove was a Farmall Super C.  I think it was bigger than the Cub but was built the same with engine setting to one side.  But that's been 50 years ago.  smiley_headscratch
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

solidwoods

My suggest, build a kiln.
You are storeing your extra woods anyway, store them in the kiln, sell the lumber.
Pine is fine for the trailer.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Corley5

Quote from: Bibbyman on May 09, 2007, 03:20:29 AM
The first tractor I drove was a Farmall Super C.  I think it was bigger than the Cub but was built the same with engine setting to one side.  But that's been 50 years ago.  smiley_headscratch

Cs and Super Cs are inline like the Hs and Ms.  The A and Super A looked like a bigger Cub.  The B was much the same as the A but with a narrow front.  Cubs have a flathead 4 cyl while the As, Bs and early Cs had a 113 CID overhead valve engine.  Later Cs and the Supers were 123 CID.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Burlkraft

I have a Cub just like that one that my Grandfather had..... ;D ;D ;D  It has a Woods belly mower on it. I remember him mowing about 10 acres of yard with it at the farm every Sunday. It's sittin' in my warehouse at work, I go out and start her up and give her a pat once in a while..... ;D ;D ;D

I love that old girl..... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Thank You Sponsors!