iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stain in poplar log?

Started by wvwoodbutcher, June 27, 2016, 10:16:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvwoodbutcher

Anyone know what this stain is? And can I get usable framing lumber out of it? Runs through the butt log and into the second log.

Hudson Oscar 36

SCSawyer

I'm not sure of the cause but I have sawn lots like that, kinda nice looking when you saw it , then just turns chocolate brown when it drys, most I have sawn that color came from near water.
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

scully

I would consider were the log came from ,but I gotta say iron !
I bleed orange  .

Ron Wenrich

Usually the ones I've seen like that come from some type of damage.  If there was any logging damage or other type of damage, you'll get that type of mineral showing up.  You can get a range of colors from pink, to blue, to black.  I've also seen it where there was wind shake. 

The blue from iron is more prominent in oak than in any other species.  Galvanized iron most often doesn't turn blue, even in oak.  I've had metal in poplar with no sign of blue.

There are some that try to use the blued wood for projects.  My experience has been when it dries out it turns brown.  Others have had more success.  You can use it as framing stock, but I would inspect it pretty well, and maybe make sure it has dried a bit.  Sometimes the defect will show up after the drying starts. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Chuck White

I would have to say there's metal in it or it's in the stump, below where you cut it off!

The lumber will still be good, but stained!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WDH

Yellow poplar heartwood is usually green, but like Ron said, you can get all the colors of the rainbow, and black in YP does not indicate the presence of metal like in oak and walnut.  The "black" poplar can be highly sought after by woodworkers.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I am envious seeing that much Poplar.  :o  I love sawing it, but the sawdust will tend to clog the chute.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

WVWB,

My first thought was metal in the log. It did not come from near an old fence line did it? Be careful when you open it up. May just be some type of mineral or other defect. I'd check it close to make sure the boards aren't punky once cut.

You surviving all this rain and flooding okay? I'm ready to see some sunshine even if it means I have to mow the yard.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WH_Conley

Always known this as mineral stain. On my place here almost all the poplar has it. The previous owner ran cattle in the woods. One section cuts clear, the cattle were fenced out. As previously stated it usually turns brown. It does not hurt for framing. I have one neighbor that used it for paneling. Looks good. Some held it's color, some didn't.
Bill

OneWithWood

It should still yield decent lumber.  The logs show off center piths so you might consider sawing fat to allow you to true up the lumber after it dries. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

VT_Forestry

Somebody say poplar stain?  :D

1st picture was taken right after the tree was cut - 2nd was taken several weeks later, as you can see the purple mellowed into a light brown color.

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

larrydown60

I have about a 50 footer in the back yard that leaks water out of the of the the bottom of it and the tree guy told me it was minerals leaking out of it

SCSawyer

I forgot to mention when you saw it it will most likely smell like swap water lol
Silas S. Roberts , Bluff Mtn. Timber

Magicman

I hope that da Goat does not see the above "lawn furniture".   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OffGrid973

Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

VT_Forestry

Quote from: Magicman on June 28, 2016, 01:28:42 PM
I hope that da Goat does not see the above "lawn furniture".   ::)

$300  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

wvwoodbutcher

I've heard of mineral stain before, but never had seen it. Just cut this tree yesterday, and was back there working today and the sap that was oozing out of the stump was almost purple.

WVSawmiller: we we're a lot more fortunate than our neighbors in greenbrier and fayette county. Creek barely got out of the banks here. Some of those people don't have a home to go back to.
Hudson Oscar 36

YellowHammer

We don't get a lot of it here, but I've had some that was beautiful.  I sell it as "rainbow poplar" and most of it goes to luthiers for electric guitar tops, although I had one guy try to make a cello out of some.  Not sure how that turned out...I wouldn't think poplar is not a preferred wood for that.  Also, we have the annual Bonnaroo festival (Southern version of Woodstock) very close to here, and several of the vendors who build cigar box guitars wait for me to get some and snap it up. 

I'm not sure if I had a lot, whether it would sell any better, but since my supply is limited, it's kind of a novelty.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

wvwoodbutcher

After talking to a coworker who is into custom turkey calls, this log is getting quartersawn into 8/4 and heading to Chattanooga, TN to a callmaker. Apparently it is sought after for box calls too?  Looking forward to opening it up now.
Hudson Oscar 36

KLukens

Not sure this thread is still relevant but I just had my giant tulip poplar cut down. They are really common in New England where I live and I was told the black is just a natural part of tulip wood. Mine has beautiful colors showing up on the cookie cuts and might produce a rainbow effect when slabbed. So we

are going to slab it and hopefully make some really beautiful live edge

WDH

That is going to be very fine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!