iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hoping to find help to get my old Wood Mizer LT30 running- wiring problems

Started by Maine Gal, May 06, 2017, 09:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine Gal

Hello all,
Just joined up after spending much time reading a lot of the forums and realizing there are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful people on here! Bought an older LT30, can't find a Vin #, just a serial number on the deck. It has a 14 HP Kohler, believe it's around a 1985. The previous owner did a lot of "rewiring" and had pieces spliced, taped, and connections were almost all bad. We did have the mill running briefly by wiggling wires. However, afterwards while trying to fix the mess, we now have wires hooked up wrong, somehow. Worse mess. I have googled and cannot find any diagrams or pics that show the wiring from battery to ignition and drumswitches, etc. Would anyone happen to have a diagram or pics? I'm having a hard time finding anyone local to hire for help. I just want to get milling some lumber! It's only been a lawn ornament thus far. >:(  Thanks in advance! 

Maine Gal

Just realized I'm in the wrong forum. Sorry! Darn new people... Don't know if I can move this..?

Maine Gal

Hello all,
Just joined up after spending much time reading a lot of the forums and realizing there are a lot of knowledgeable, helpful people on here! Bought an older LT30, can't find a Vin #, just a serial number on the deck. It has a 14 HP Kohler, believe it's around a 1985. The previous owner did a lot of "rewiring" and had pieces spliced, taped, and connections were almost all bad. We did have the mill running briefly by wiggling wires. However, afterwards while trying to fix the mess, we now have wires hooked up wrong, somehow. Worse mess. I have googled and cannot find any diagrams or pics that show the wiring from battery to ignition and drumswitches, etc. Would anyone happen to have a diagram or pics? I'm having a hard time finding anyone local to hire for help. I just want to get milling some lumber! It's only been a lawn ornament thus far. >:(  Thanks in advance!
**I had posted this in the wrong forum, so I re-posted here. Hope that's ok. Darn new people, coming in and messing things up.. My bad!  ;)

KirkD

Older than my 89 LT40 ;) It should be pretty basic. Might help if you tell where you are for someone local to help. Also you can contact Woodmizer they may have a manual available that will help you. Most can be downloaded.

Welcome to the forum.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Maine Gal

I'm in Southern Maine. I will try to call WM again on Monday, they are closed weekends. Maybe they'll have a manual I can download. I was really hoping to get it fixed this weekend, as I had it off and have so many building projects coming up. It does look soo simple, but apparently not simple enough!  :D

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

Maine Gal,Welcome to the forum.It looks overwhelming now,but call Indy on Monday and they can help.I once saw an old Mizer on a job that had a dozen alligator clips hooked to various wires.It was definitely a personalized mill,but he still sawed good lumber.Worse case scenario,haul it up to Chesterville,Me and let Ross go through it.
Best of luck to you,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

woodworker9

Yes, welcome to the forum.

I had a similar situation with the LT40 I purchased 3 years ago.  The mill sat for 10 years unused in a barn, and the mice got to the wiring.  I swear, I think wiring looks like ice cream to mice.

Anyway, in my opinion, depending on how bad it is, it might be a lot easier to just run new wiring instead of splicing in a bunch of repairs.  Just my opinion, and that's what I did with my mill.  Runs great now, and I'm having a ball, and making a lot of great lumber for my woodworking business.

Hope you get it worked out.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Barney II

Hi there Maine Gal---If it does not work out with WM get back to me as I do have a very active 1985 lt30.   I do have most of the diagrams and schematics to the mill and would be happy to help out.   Let me know----Barney II
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

Maine Gal

Thanks guys! After many, many hours researching and getting bits of info on how wiring works- I have figured it out! 3 wires were hooked up wrong, and now she is running great! I'm so excited! I was going to call WM in the morning, but there's a gratifying feeling being able to fix it myself. Stubbornness pays off.. sometimes! Still going to call WM to see if they can tell me what year it is based off the serial number, and get a manual if possible. Now, time to grease her up, set her up level & get sawing! My lawn ornament is now functional!   8)

Happy girl here!  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!