iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1959 Oliver 550 tractor

Started by isawlogs, November 30, 2009, 09:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I need to find a pic of the tranny for this tractor .  What I would really like is a picture of the inside where the stick goes in , I need to see the slots and how they line up . I managed to jam the tranny up while shifting from third to fourth if it was a simple 4 or five speed with only neutral in the center  , but no >:( this has a six speed   that looks like this

1     5
                                              N
                                         R1     2
                                              N
                                           3     6
                                              N
                                         R2     4

The guy that inventent the hydrostatic trany probably had one of these  ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

These folks will help you.  You can also get manuals from the museum.

http://www.hartparroliver.org/phpBB2/
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Here's another forum that I belong to that has an Oliver section.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/index.php
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DanG

www.ytmag.com   is another great site for tractor info.  They have an Oilallover board too. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

chevytaHOE5674

ytmag, is a good one. Lots of information over there in the archives.

Fraxinus

I had one of those things but it never ran while I owned it and I finally sent it down the road as a parts tractor.  I had swapped a Case SC for it.
Must have been a nice tractor in its day but that xmission - sheesh. :o
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

timberfaller390

I had and old Massey Ferguson that was bad to do that. It only had a 4 speed and It was pretty easy to yake the fill plug out and slide the hung gear back over with a long screwdriver.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

DanG

I had an old MF-65 that did the same thing, TF390. :D  It always happened if you lifted up on the lever when putting it into reverse, and you wouldn't know it until you tried to shift back into forward.  I had it happen once when I was bushhogging some heavy brush by backing into it.  I saw a big ol' hornet nest in a scrubby little oak tree I was about to take out, so I tried to cram it into forward right quick.  You guessed it, the gearbox was hung in reverse! :o :D  I managed to get out of it with no stings, but it was a nervy moment. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

I am still sotof stuck. Not having seen the way the slots are  :-\ . I need to find a print or a trany to look at , might have to spring for da book ....    :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Quote from: isawlogs on December 01, 2009, 09:03:17 PM
might have to spring for da book ....    :P

Get the book.  You'll need it for this time and also next time.... :)

isawlogs

Ya I know , but right now aint the bestess times to be spending ... But need do what needs be done . I am looking for da book .
:P

Marcel

timberfaller390

Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Stan snider

Isawlogs: if you can take a picture of the hole where the stick goes in the transmission I bet we could figure out which of the rails need moved which way to find neutral, then just put the stick back in. In neutral there should be a clear path for the bottom of the stick to move through all the neutrals. The pattern would look like a H laying on its side. You  might have to turn the engine or rear end to make the gears mesh. Doing that with the starter could be hazardous to you, your barn,pets and anything that can't outrun an oliver :D because it will likely be in gear if it starts. Maybe jacking up a rear wheel and turning by hand would be better anyway. A neighbor has one unless the junk man got it.  Stan

isawlogs

I have the stick out and the rear wheels jacked off the ground , never mind the barn critters , I can't out run the darn thing , I have enough of one down finger , don't need anything else .  ::)
There aint no clear path in there to see , where the neutral is . I ned get a pic of the trany or a book , I know which gear I was in , and wich I went into or was going to when it locked up but the slot aint like none I have seen before  ::) :P 

If ya can get a pic out of the neibourghs tractor in high neutral ( 3-4-r2-6 ) I would be very greatfull .

As far as I can see there are three shafts that I can try moving , none are at the moment .  :-\

Marcel

timberfaller390

It's hard to explain this without pics but I'll try. When the massey would lock up we would take the transmission fill plug out (it's about 3" dia.) and slide a piece of rebar in behind the stuck gear and slide it back. That would put you back in neutral. Some times it took a right smart whack to get it back in place, like the time I had to drive it a mile and a half in reverse to get back to the barn. It has been a while since I laid a wrench to an oliver so I really don't remember much detail about them. Is the transmission fill on top of the tranny next to the shifter? If it is see if you can get a pic of the gears and I can probably tell you what needs to go where.
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

isawlogs

I have played with a massey and trust me , this aint a massey  ::) :D
I have orderd the cd/book and will see when it gets in . Thanks Marcel

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!