iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ag Tires on a Bronco or Blazer

Started by rnds76b, August 09, 2014, 10:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnds76b

After reading a post from 2009 about Argos vs ATVs, I'm becoming more and more convinced that one responders may have the answer for me; that being, he said he used an old Ford Bronco with deflated ag tires on it to do logging in swampy/soggy areas both winter and summer.  Unlike most ATVs, the SUV has heat in the winter, A/C in the summer (when you need to get away from the cold/heat &/or  bugs for a while) and allows you to carry a lot of equipment.   Sounds like just what I need.   But, I'm a novice.  On-line specs for a 1980 Ford Bronco lists max tire size as 295/30 R 22 with a 5 lug rim.  Number of questions; 1)  where can I get rims to accommodate a tractor ag tire? 2) what ag tractor tire size is equivalent to a 295/30 R 22 (from what I can tell so far, auto tires and tractor tires go by completely different standards of measurement), and 3) because my property is quite "hilly" and uneven (and I don't care to flip the SUV over), how can I widen the overall width of the wheels (side-to-side)?   Thanks all....

yukon cornelius

I love the idea as well. they sell ag tires in a lot of sizes. you just need to measure your rim width. it has been done several times over to cut the center out of one rim and weld it in another of a larger size. mud boggers do it a lot. ag tires are pretty pricy but so are wide heavy duty tires. have you considered hummer tires? I believe they are 16.5 rim which would require an 8 bolt rim. a blazer is easy to retro an 8 bolt axle under. a bronco is a little harder. I would not add any lift kit and if you needed  more tire clearance id cut it out fenders. keep that center of gravity low.  the taller the sidewall the more tire roll you will get. hope you get it going! id like to see it!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Thank You Sponsors!