iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

There are Stihl dealers then there are Stihl sellers.

Started by Ward Barnes, January 24, 2012, 08:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

Howdy:

I have a lot next door to my house that is owned by a wonderful gentleman (David) who clears lots and puts in gravel/shell roads for those who are building a new home.  When he clears a lot part of the agreement is the removal of debris and the selling of those trees with a market value.  What cannot be sold at the mill and is suitable for firewood he brings to his property to be cut and sold for their heating value.  He is also a collector of Stihl saws with a gift of bringing dead saws back to a useful life.  (He currently has 48 saws in his home workshop, just in case he needs one.)  Which brings me to the reason for this post.  Another neighbor had taken his saw into a dealer for repair and he got a bill for $35.00 and a tag on it that said, "Dead".  They tried to sell him a new saw.  Not having the money he gave the saw to David for parts and David had it running in under 10 minutes and gave the saw back to our friend.  There are true dealers and then there are saw sellers.

When I get tired of messing with my MS 390 not idling I know where to get my saw fixed right.

God Bless, Ward.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Dave VH

ok, where does this guy live, can I be his neighbor?
I cut it twice and it's still too short

ladylake

Good saw shops, any brand are real hard too find. None around here but I quit looking and fix my own.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tcrew

Ward, what a GREAT story! So glad to hear there are still shops out there like this.. Just wish it was in my back yard!! lol   Thanks for ur post :)
038av super, MS280, MS250,Kubota/loader, Vermeer M50-H Trencher/backhoe ,Case 1150C TrackLoader,3point 25ton wood-spliter

Twowithone

Have a 034. It was blowing oil like crazy had bar oil all over the saw. Took it to a Sthil dealer they said chainsaws leak oil. I took their word and moved on using the saw and going through all this bar oil. I went on youtube watched a couple videos and away I went. When I got to the oil pump the black hose that comes off the pump was just sitting on the end of tube coming off pump no wonder it was blowing all this oil. cleaned everything up put hose back on it doesnt leak like it used to. Sthil should ask the repair shops for the ph. numbers of people that had work done on their saws and contact these people to see if their satisfied with the work their dealer did.

Old Greenhorn

Not sure if you noticed, but this is an 8 year old thread you replied to. :D
 Having said that, welcome to the forum. 
 This situation is more the rule these days than the exception, sadly. It is not limited to any one brand, I think it is a symptom of the society we are creating where pride in one's skill is not valued as it once was. Read one of my experiences here: https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=105794.msg1647928#top since you like old threads (sorry).
 I don't trust any of these dealers until they give me a reason to. By the way, that saw in the above thread is still running and being used weekly. Not bad for a saw that the dealer called 'dead'. I put $15. in parts into it half of which I did just because it was 'due' not because it needed it to get running. Still wish I could get it back. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Banjo picker

Welcome to the forum twowithone, I have been on this forum for coming up on 12 years and I don't recall seeing this, so I'm glad you brought it back to the top.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

firefighter ontheside

I agree with the OP, but luckily I have good luck with my dealers that I deal with.  I deal with one for the FD and they have always treated us well and fixed stuff well and in a timely manner.  Most recently I took a saw there and told them what I was told, which was it just won't run.  They called me about 3 days later and said, it runs fine.  My guys just didn't know how to start a saw.

My personal dealer has always fixed our saws and at a very fair price.  They work on all my small engines.  They worked on my standby generator for my house.  They cleaned the carb and had it running like a song.  Charged me very little.  They found a new muffler for my 2005 woodmizer with 15 horse kohler.  Im happy with them.  Hope they stick around as long as I have saws.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Banjo picker

I can't fuss about the Stijl dealer here in Iuka  either.  I had let my MS460 set for a while after I got the new 261 and then it wouldn't start.  Took it in they had to rebuild the carburetor because I let the sorry gas we have now set in it too long.  But the saw runs better now than the day I bought it....they tuned it up right.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

WV Sawmiller

Boy does this seem to apply to my current situation and sister thread about my MS 441 Stihl.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!