iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

engine problems

Started by peterob, August 19, 2014, 07:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterob

i have an lt28 with a 25hp kolhar motor had carb off an cleaned, all new fuel line an fuel filter, lines blown out, gas can cleaned an fitter cleaned, an i have put fuel treatment in gas, now for problem my motor will start in morning an run great then you shut off an it will start an die, if you let set it will start an run again, ( also  the fuel filter will be 1/2 to 3/4  full then in no time it is almost empty but will run, anybody had this problem   thanks peter

bandmiller2

Pete, check the vent in the fuel cap or leave it a little loose. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

macpower

The fuel filter is on the suction/vacuum side of the fuel pump. It may not show fuel in it when the engine is running. (At least not much as it is being drawn though, not pumped in.) How long before it dies on a warm start? Seconds or minutes? Will it run with the tank cap off? Is the fuel shut off solenoid really hot?
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

biggkidd

Take a flashlight and check in the tank for a large piece clogging the intake. Plastic gas caps are bad about disintegrating and pieces clog the pick and line. If the pickup is in a place you just can't see blow it out. It's best to remove the tank and clean thoroughly.

Larry
Echo 330 T, Echo 510, Stihl Farm Boss, Dolmar 7900, Jinma 354 W/ FEL, & TPH Backhoe, 1969 M35A2,  1970 Cat D4
Building a Band Mill  :)

Chuck White

It could also be that the O-ring in the fuel tanks quick disconnect is letting air into the gas line.

If you're in the habit of leaving the tank connected all the time, the O-ring will deform and leak!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Chuck White on August 19, 2014, 09:16:43 PM
If you're in the habit of leaving the tank connected all the time, the O-ring will deform and leak!

In my best Johnny Carson voice, "I did not know that."

That might explain why I see so much air in my fuel filter.  ::)

barbender

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 19, 2014, 08:10:01 PM
I have had problems with CARB compliant fuel caps on a Honda engine before. The only problems I'vel ever had with a Honda, come to think of it. The engine would run great for two minutes, and die. Let it set, it would fire back up, and repeat. The solution was a pre-CARB gas cap. CARB is the  smiley_devil
Too many irons in the fire

boscojmb

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 19, 2014, 08:10:01 PM
X3  :)
John B.

Log-Master LM4

Chuck White

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 19, 2014, 10:38:12 PM
Quote from: Chuck White on August 19, 2014, 09:16:43 PM

In my best Johnny Carson voice, "I did not know that."

That might explain why I see so much air in my fuel filter.  ::)

Exactly right, try taking the fitting off of your gas line and just sticking the end of the line right down into the gas tank to verify if it's the O-ring.

I'd bet "no air bubbles" in the fuel filter.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Waterford Woodworks

I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction but I had a very similar issue with my lt40 manual 28hp kohler. After changing gas lines and filters and checking the fuel pump pressure (it was correct) it seemed to help temporarily. In the end I found it to be a loose wire on the fuel pump relay. I bought the mill new in 2006 and have had this issue 4 times. After replacing the terminal ends twice and soldering the ends on the third time and fourth time I finally opted to not bolt it back to the box it was mounted to. I don't know if it was the vibration that made it break from the terminal or what. Only time will tell, the last time it happened was around 100 hours ago and I haven't had any problems since. Mine is fuel injected but it acted like you are describing. I assume you have an electric fuel pump to push the fuel to the carb.
2006 Lt40 Super Cat 51, Allis Chalmers 185
"Keep doing what your doing and you'll keep getting what your getting, life is what you make of it."

Chuck White

I don't believe his fuel pump is electric.

I have a Kohler 25hp on my mill now and the fuel pump is operated by vacuum.

Thank You Sponsors!