iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tier 4 diesel ?

Started by starmac, December 19, 2017, 07:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

Does the new tier 4, epa approved diesels on the new mills have to have urea?
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

JB Griffin

Nope, they have a dpf and a regen system. At least to my knowledge.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

starmac

They do have the regen exhaust, sheesh.

JB Griffin

Yeah, I know ::) ::) ::)  I won't have one.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

starmac

Yep, it works well enough to have caused the companies with huge fleets of pickups to go back to gas, after years of you couldn't give them a gas rig. Individuals that have bought diesels in the last few years have either deleted them or traded back to gas.

JB Griffin

Yup, not for me. Give me a mechanical injector pump and lift pump and a couple of wires running to a keyswitch and starter and I'm good.

Southside

I have to think there is a delete kit out there for it, or someone could tune it to disable the regen. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

FloridaMike

I have a 2016 Ford F450 and a 2017 JD 5065 67hp 4x4 tractor, both with tier 4 regen.  Def fluid on the p/u and not on the tractor.  Neither one has given me the first bit of trouble.  The Ford 6.7L runs 5X times better than the 6.0L non-def/regen it replaced.

Sometimes we worry about change for the sake of standing on what we are use to having.  I remember thinking in 1973-74 that fun muscle cars were dead.  We now have cars (and trucks) available with twice the hp/torque/fuel milage and 1/2 the emissions.  Technology may be hard to get wrapped around as a warm and fuzzy experience... but the last 50 year track record is pretty good.     
Mike

Southside

Umm - Not to pick on you just about anything runs better than a Ford 6.0, that was not their best moment.  Personally it's not the change, but the additional upfront and then constant maintenance expense these tier 4 engines bring with them. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

starmac

FloridaMike, headnorth and see how it works for you.

Believe me, the oil companies did not decide to replace a few THOUSAND pickups and go to gas (which they don't like) because they were working out for them. lol
My son has 2 new dodges, one would not run the first winter, the other gave no trouble. He waited until he was leaving to pull the 38 foot fifth wheel to Texas before he deleted the one, but did it for the difference in mileage.

JB Griffin

I never have figgered out how they think a motor that uses more fuel than the one it replaced is more efficient?

My truck is 21yo has 266k mi and runs like new, it gets 17 mpg with 4.10 gears.( it got 20+ before the 5spd swap) My bosses truck is 1yo has 30k mi on it and gets 11-13mpg. more efficient?  How?

Flyingpig

Tier 4 final is DPF and SCR. I've been in a few service trucks with 6.7 fords, trust me once deleted it's a whole different animal. 2x the mileage, turbos last, and they really wake up. The emissions control garbage really chokes a Diesel engine up, its like running it with an exhaust brake on all the time.

ToddsPoint

I have a tier 4 Kubota tractor.  No problems so far.  How do you "delete" the regen feature?  Is it possible on my Kubota L3901?  Just curious.  Gary
Logosol M7, Stihl 660 and 290, Kubota L3901.

Dave Shepard

It's not about efficiency, it's about pollution. The final tiers seem to have a return inversely proportional to the cost of the systems , and the reduction in economy.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Can someone explain what DPF is and what regen is so I can understand this thread?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bruno of NH

I have a new mahindra 3540 with teir 4
I like the tractor but burns 3x the fuel my last tractor used :(
You have to run it at a much higher rpm so it stays hot
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Grizzly

DPF = Diesel Particulate Filter
Regen = Is just to burn out the DPF which can also put some older vehicles into a lower power mode. Newer ones have better programming.
EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation

So far i have found shops that will do full delete's, partial delete's, and programmed delete's on any piece of equipment known. Some farm guys are already getting carried away on their 4wd tractors seeing what hp they can get.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

terrifictimbersllc

Thanks.

Sounds like I have a pretty good engine on my 2001 LT40Super,  42HP Kubota diesel, Turbo. 

And on my truck, 2001 7.3L PSD.

Jan 19, 2001 was a good day.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Your truck has an EGR at the most - meaning it "recirculates" some of the exhaust gas back into the intake.  Those can vanish as well.  Google images of what the inside of a typical EGR valve looks like and tell me if you want that oozing into your engine.  One thing to keep an eye on is the fact that they often develop corrosion in them and allow coolant to leak into the intake, which in your case is the compressor side of the turbo.  The 6.0's were plagued with that. 

The DPF units require periodic cleaning, and it's not something you can do at home, the service interval is supposed to be longer these days than at first, but what I have seen is that they simply regen more often.  Which uses more fuel as there is a 9th injector into the DPF unit where fuel is directly injected to burn off all the soot the filter catches. 

I can't imagine a regen cycle happening on a mill engine with all the sawdust flying around and on the surfaces, that is a disaster waiting to happen. 
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

brianJ

How does EGR exhaust gas return have anything to do with coolant loss.   

:P :P Got a lot to learn

dgdrls

Quote from: brianJ on December 24, 2017, 12:50:03 PM
How does EGR exhaust gas return have anything to do with coolant loss.   

:P :P Got a lot to learn

some exhaust gas is recirculated (EGR) to the intake system chamber/manifold via a "cooler".  Coolant/antifreeze  system is plumbed into the system to cool the gasses before they re-enter the motor.  If the EGR cooler fails you have lost the closed circuit of the coolant/antifreeze system.

D

JB Griffin

To my knowledge,  the 7.3's never had an egr. All 6.0 (junk) did.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: JB Griffin on December 19, 2017, 09:36:16 PM
Yup, not for me. Give me a mechanical injector pump and lift pump and a couple of wires running to a keyswitch and starter and I'm good.

Then you better ditch the PSD. No injector pump or anything mechanical about it. Ha :D

Correct no EGR on the 7.3`s

Dave Shepard

I think we have slowly been moving away from reliability ever since we stopped using steam. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

JB Griffin

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on December 25, 2017, 09:57:56 AM
Quote from: JB Griffin on December 19, 2017, 09:36:16 PM

Then you better ditch the PSD. No injector pump or anything mechanical about it. Ha :D

Correct no EGR on the 7.3`s

Yeah I know,  been seriously considering building a 6.9/7.3 hybrid with a banks or sidewinder turbo. And while I'm at it might as well put on a gear vendors o/d unit too.

Thank You Sponsors!