iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yellow oak... ?

Started by Bibbyman, August 16, 2011, 06:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We were sawing white oak today and the lumber out of one log looked a little different color than the rest.  At least until it dried some.  I remembered back when I was a kid helping Dad split stave bolts he would talk of "yellow oak".  I couldn't remember if it was burr oak or post oak or some other variation of white oak.

The logger dropped off a load today and we visited.  I remembered to ask him.  He said yea, the veneer buyers talk of yellow oak.  Said they really like the color over the pinker oak.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

SwampDonkey

Sounds similar to the claim of a silver birch by some buyers. I would just assume it's genetic variation or environmental conditions. You can find a yellow birch on occasion with bark that is not golden yellow and appears kind of silvery. But, it's yellow birch.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

woodmills1

had someone cold call for a container of yellow oak

I did not send the check to Nigeria
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

doesn't black oak have a yellow under bark?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Bibby,

probably burr oak...makes superb lumber, but does not mix well with other white oaks because of the predominant yellows and browns.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Norm

Our burr oak can have a yellow hue off the saw. Turns kind of a dark golden color after drying.

Thank You Sponsors!