iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

no longer available carb parts

Started by chet, February 14, 2018, 05:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chet

Has anyone made your own diaphragms for carbs that parts are no longer available?
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

undee70ss

What carb diaphragm are you looking for? Some people have already done this

chet

I have a few antiques that will need one. The one I have tore down now has an early 50's Power Products AH47 power head, with a Tillotson HP carb on it.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

NCFarmboy

There was a man on Ebay that made them for O&R 1hp carb.  I bought two from him.  Included was a how to install instructions.  Haven't installed them, way down on the  rountuit list.  IIRC he said the hardest part was finding the right thickness rubber.  I have some old Tilly stuff came with a bunch of carb kits I bought.  Will look and see what I can find for you.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Hilltop366

chet

Shep,  that was one of the big questions I had,  what thickness to use. The Tilly carb kit for this model could be either a 12A or 14A.

Hilltop366,  I've tried repeatedly to contact the party that was making them for chainsawr, with no response. He must be out of business.

Hilltop366

Ok that would not help you. I'm guessing it is kind of large, was thinking if you could find a larger one and trim to fit but that might not be easy to find.

NCFarmboy

Quote from: chet on February 17, 2018, 12:03:20 AM
Shep,  that was one of the big questions I had,  what thickness to use. The Tilly carb kit for this model could be either a 12A or 14A.

Hilltop366,  I've tried repeatedly to contact the party that was making them for chainsawr, with no response. He must be out of business.
I can measure the one for the O&R if that would help? Didn't get to check the old Tilly stuff neither of my 2 helpers showed up today.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

Al_Smith

Can't remember the persons name but that would be Sugar Creek Supply making those kits .I haven't checked but Mike Acres might have a parts list on his site .The two AH 47's I have one has float carb Tilley  set on a 45 degrees angle ,the other a model HL Tilley .I've got a brand new HP that Dan Henry sent me but being a collector I don't want to part with it .
I've got the Tillotson master parts lists at home.I'll see what I can find when I get the time .

chet

Al you can keep dat Tilly HP carb, I just need da fuel pump and metering diaphragms from it.  ;D  Sugar Creek was who I was trying to contact,  but they must have went out of business.

Al_Smith

I just looked it up. wierdo .That thing uses ball checks on the fuel inlet and outlet instead of the normal flapper types on most carbs .Couldn't find the parts list with numbers .However it looks like the main diaphragm might be the same as an HL .The fuel pump more than likely would be just a flexible piece of buna N sheet stock .All it has to do is flex with the crankcase pressure and vacuum pulsations  .The ball checks do the rest .Don't give up the ship .I'll do some research .

Al_Smith

chet

Thanks Al, the fuel pump is just a piece of buna N. I had talked to da folks at Tilly, and they told me the HL will not fit an old HP as the HP was larger. The call took awhile as they had to find "the old fart" because he remembered the HP's.  :D :D :D

Al_Smith

I'm not sure if an HR has a larger diaphragm than an HL .Some of the kits I've bought over the years had different diaphragms for the HL's .You'd get a whole gaggle of stuff and only use a portion of it .
I'll dig through that 5 gallon bucket full of stuff and see if I can find that carb and see .Now it might take me a day or two get to it .
Thinking out loud I wonder if the model HP is merely a model H with a separate  fuel pump added ?Then again if this stuff were simple anybody could do  it . ;)

Al_Smith

Some news good and bad .It wasn't an HP but rather an HC 13a .In essence an HL without a fuel pump so I would assume gravity fed .The good news is it takes the same main diaphragm as an HL.I have no idea what McCulloch model it came off of .
With that said and again I'm only assuming perhaps all large bore Tilleys have the same diaphragm with exception of course the giant ones used on Harley Sportsters and big snowmobile engines .Here ya go .Overall 2 1/4" outside diameter , bolt to bolt 1 7/8" across  .6 bolt unequal spacing .   Not a big deal the diaphragm has a bunch of bolt holes evidently for different applications .Best I can do .An HL diaphragm and gasket is only a couple bucks flea bay .You could probably find some thin Buna N too while you are at it .Good luck .

chet

I went ahead and ordered an HL one, if'n it don't work I'll just add it ta da parts bin. . Did you ever try and replace crank seals on one of yer AH-47's? The only info I've found, supersedes the original Power products number to 510319, which turns out to be way too big.

Al_Smith

No I haven't .I checked that OEM number in my CR master interchange book and found nothing .However if I had the bore,outside diameter and thickness I most likely could find a good number in either CR or National .
As far as the two running AH 47's I have they get started so seldom and aren't usually ran long enough to see what condition the seals are in .I wouldn't know if they are good or not so good .
If you still have the old seal often the number will be on the buna-N rubber portion but unless to have the eyes of an eagle it will take a bright light and a magnifying  glass to read it .I doubt Power Products/Lauson  made their own seals .

Urbicide

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 20, 2018, 04:22:11 PM
Some news good and bad .It wasn't an HP but rather an HC 13a .In essence an HL without a fuel pump so I would assume gravity fed .The good news is it takes the same main diaphragm as an HL.I have no idea what McCulloch model it came off of.
Hey Al, I believe that HC 13a Tilly was used on the Mac 15. I have often wondered if a HL series carb could be easily substituted, provided the crankcase could supply the impulse needed to actuate the fuel pump. :P

Al_Smith

I had an idea that's what it came off of .An HL has enough area on the pump it should not be a problem I wouldn't think .I really don't know as I might have seen one or two of that model in my life time .I don't think it was a real popular model .

chet

Well back ta square one. An HL metering diaphragm definitely will not fit on the elusive Tilly HP, too small.  :(

HolmenTree

Tilly HR is next larger size carb over the HL  . HD is bigger then the HR.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

chet

Holman, by any chance you have an HD diaphragm  to possibly check it's diameter?  The info I have shows an HR and an HL using the same one, Part # 012475 superseded to 237-600.

HolmenTree

Chet, measured HD carb diaphrams diameter 2 5/8" inches.
The HR and HL are both 2 1/8"

HolmenTree

My HD is 42mm venturi
HR is 34mm "
HL I believe is 27mm "

HolmenTree

Typo
HL and HR diaphrams are both 
2 1/8" diameter

Thank You Sponsors!