iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stuck in MI

Started by MartyParsons, February 29, 2016, 12:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Headed to the UP in Michigan. Can't get across the bridge. Winds at 50 mph.

M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sawguy21

It looks like the wind blew the bridge over. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

square1

Shoot, that's down 20% from 10 days ago when a portion of the roof landed in the backyard!

Jeff

I'm stuck on the north side, but I stayed at lous. Whiteout here. That wind flip your truck on its roof,
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MartyParsons

Hello,
Drove till 1am this morning made it to Gaylord, MI once caught a gust of wind truck and trailer sliding . It was raining and 29 degrees. Thought it might be time to stop and take a break. :o
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

47sawdust

Jeff,
You said you needed your mill serviced so you could use it this summer.Looks like Marty's not going anywhere.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

MartyParsons

Yep,  got my tool box.  No parts in the truck.
M

Jeff

Here is what is on this,side.

WmFritz

Huh, when I glanced at the weather map this morning, I thought the UP was getting snow today. Jeff pictures say otherwise.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Jeff

We did. No telling how much due to the wind. It keeps moving around. I'm guessing, 3 to 6 inches today.

jtmccallum

I went hunting with 2 teachers from Cedarville yesterday.  They left for home from Montcalm county about 4 PM.  We told one to just call off school since he is also superintendent.  Guess I'll    follow up with a phone call.
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

trapper

Saturday was summer weather by Yukon ;D sunshine and at least 70.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

thechknhwk

Shoulda stopped by Marty! ;D

mart

What's all that white stuff. We don't have any of that in Wasilla, Alaska. ;D

Had to use a grinning smiley. Couldn't find a pot stirring one.  :D
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

Jeff

It was a wild day yesterday on both sides of the bridge. US28 is shut down, I-75 was shut down southbound for a while from different pileups. The bridge was shut down, People were stranded all over the place. I was a half mile back in the woods at Lou's with a 2 wheel drive truck and a bunch of broken down snow removal machines. I was able to break a trail early this morning with his 4 wheel drive, run it up and down the road a couple times, then give it a try to come home with my truck.  It was stuck where it sat after having the tires melt into the ice. Once I got it going, I was able to get out and just got home. It was only 5° this morning so the snow was good and sticky. The paved roads were all plowed, but not to bad other than being slick, and there was no wind until I got to Houghton lake and ran into the next system coming from the south west. Good to be back home.

yukon cornelius

I don't believe I could make it up there. I am too soft and easily frozen
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Jeff

Nah, we would have you tempered in in (Tom) less than a month.

r.man

We had freezing rain, then real rain, then cold so we now have a glare ice crust on the snow that will hold me some of the time. Anyplace that was hard packed or ploughed is dangerous. Took me three tries to get in a friends fairly level driveway. Used most of my emergency ashes to fix his corner so the next guy can get in and then went and got 4 five gallon pails of salted sand from the township storage for other places.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

CJennings

Not a speck of snow in my backyard here. Just bare grass and some of it is rather green. Up at my woodlot it looks like it has snow on the ground but it's really just ice with a whitish color to it. I spent a half hour crawling down 2 miles of hills last week when I left the place. Nothing but ice where the woods keep it shaded.

kensfarm

Quote from: yukon cornelius on March 01, 2016, 12:21:01 PM
I don't believe I could make it up there. I am too soft and easily frozen

You have to do the polar bear plunge..  after that anything else is warm.   ;D

yukon cornelius

I would be an icicle  ;)
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

MartyParsons

Hello,
We rode to Grand Marias from Paradise. Total trip was around 180 miles. 

Stopped at Crisp Bay light house.

I case you think you may get stranded, dont forget the Girl scout cookies.

Sorry if the pictures are not right. I cant tell on the i pad.

Marty

WmFritz

I remember that story of the girls. Looks like you had good snow conditions, Marty. Hope the trails are smooth for you.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

4x4American

Yup..always good to keep some spare food in the truck.  I like to keep canned soup, snickers, water, and a spare thanksgiving turkey.  If you're without a can opener just rub the can on something abrasive.  Personally I just use a knife.
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!